Replacement engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mentioned on TLB you could use VW engine co, but even JK sell turnkey units now.
I guess you dont want the ancilleries, but just the core to transfer your bits onto?
Just curious Lee, what is wrong with your current engine?

Crankshaft/Conrod shell spun ( big end bearing) and crankshaft heavily damaged. All rockers/ pushrods etc worn / damaged. Suspect oil pump issue caused it .

Attachments

• 348365102_521331223414866_7471159967165595550_n.jpg
    348365102_521331223414866_7471159967165595550_n.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • 348366202_769911547916987_2844455763872198700_n.jpg
    348366202_769911547916987_2844455763872198700_n.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 353027569_6643696702321854_7517102204281074162_n.mp4
    1.5 MB
Just thinking replacement may be best option - besides i dont really know VW's - it is my wifes (i was always a Ford person!)

Vw engine company are not somewhere you want to spend your money. The engines are badly built and they do everything they can to wriggle out of the warranty.

I’d recommend you speak to a reputable engine builder. Where abouts are you?

Have to agree with Karl on this one, too many horror stories of the VWEC where they don't honour the warranty and blame failures on 'installation errors', I'm aware of at least one court case against them at the moment.
They also hang onto your original tinware and fit crap repro stuff.
Most Air-cooled garages won't recommend engine builders as it always comes back and bites them when something goes wrong.

Thanks for the replies, I'm in Bexleyheath (SE London / North Kent area. Was thinking of. Talking to VVEC or Cool air (same engines) but now totally confused!

Hi there
https://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/1600cc-van-engine-for-sale.99173/
I spotted these for sale but in North Scotland. He’s trying his best to get pictures up and videos but I don’t think he’s used these forums very much. Don’t know him myself but it looks to be genuine stuff and not Brazilian or repro stuff.

Ozziedog',,,,,,,have a look praps :)

Thanks for the replies, I'm in Bexleyheath (SE London / North Kent area. Was thinking of. Talking to VVEC or Cool air (same engines) but now totally confused!
If you’re in Bexley Heath then you have an aircooled engine guru on your door step by the name of James Wotton! He runs veedub performance & service. Has built many engines including his own 600 hp turbo which pushes his bug down Santa pod in 9 seconds.

Regarding vw engine company or any of the other ‘recon’ off the shelf engine suppliers, they are all shit to be perfectly honest. Cobbled together from used or poor quality repro parts, won’t be cheap but save yourself alot of grief and speak to James.

I’d endorse Karl’s wise words having had James look after my van for the last ten years and 4 years ago being lucky enough to bag a Hector Howe mild stroker engine on James’s recommendation for not much more than a new stock one after the OP decided not to proceed with a project. Paired with twin dell 40s, a 123 (altho I know you’re not a fan Karl) and a 6 rib gearbox it runs like a dream, has loads of torque and a top speed I’d be afraid to go anywhere near

James is right on your doorstep and it’s best if you go to his workshop as he‘s always busy, and rarely answers the phone or emails unless he knows you, but always has time to stop for a chat

I’d endorse Karl’s wise words having had James look after my van for the last ten years and 4 years ago being lucky enough to bag a Hector Howe mild stroker engine on James’s recommendation for not much more than a new stock one after the OP decided not to proceed with a project. Paired with twin dell 40s, a 123 (altho I know you’re not a fan Karl) and a 6 rib gearbox it runs like a dream, has loads of torque and a top speed I’d be afraid to go anywhere near

James is right on your doorstep and it’s best if you go to his workshop as he‘s always busy, and rarely answers the phone or emails unless he knows you, but always has time to stop for a chat
Ah yes you brought the 1745cc which hector built for our friend Richard. Nicely spec’d motor that, wish I’d had the money at the time to buy it for my beetle lol.

I don’t dislike 123’s they are a very good idea, just I’ve seen a couple people get stranded by them playing up (hopefully that issues has been addressed by 123 now)

But yeah, James is a clever guy and would make sense to see him about an engine.

I had a new 1776 from VWEC 18 months ago, opted for their Turnkey Service and I’ve been very pleased with it so far. Starts and runs like a dream, dry as a bone not a hint of oil leakage, all of my original parts cleaned, painted etc and refitted and made a very good job of tidying and neatly running all of the pipe work, leads etc and they didn’t keep my original tinware and fit cheap aftermarket as pointed out above.

On a side note to this 4 years ago I very nearly purchased a bus but the viewing got postponed due to an oil leak on the VWEC 1641 he’d had fitted 9 months earlier and he did nothing but praise their service in sorting it out with no problems whatsoever… in the meantime the bus I now own came up for sale on my doorstep which was a no-brainer at the time so did me a favour really 😂

Gotta speak as you find I guess 🤔🤷‍♂️

I was thinking the VWEC company have been advertising for such a long time in VW magazines, that they can’t be that bad ! A company survives on its reputation and if dodgy is usually found out after a couple of years or so. The company appears to be thriving. I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has been running one of their engines.

2-3 years we redid a vw engine company 1776 for a 68 bus. it was installed by them and managed 200 miles before it shit itself on biblical proportions…..

The customer contacted them and VWEC said well you must have done something. it was ok when it left here, isn’t covered by that warranty and put the phone down. Following that they ignored all calls and emails

From what we could tell in the resulting carnage it appeared a rod bolt had come undone, got thrown round inside the engine destroying everything in its path and exited through the top of the case. The only pieces that were able to be salvaged were the carbs, linkage, heads (which needed repairing) and tinware. Thats is a separate issue as the customers original engine had all genuine tin which specified to be reused but was never seen again.

Latest posts