replacement gearstick

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll beat you to it Des 8)

IMAG0838.jpg

For all the people that can only dream :shock: Here is a picture of an O.D. speedmaster mach 2 as fitted to my bus Sherbie. And for all the people that have looked and `Felt' this shifter and marvelled at it`s action,,,,,,,,,, I`ve now finished wiping all your drool off my seats :mrgreen: The action is far superior to all those mentioned above ^^^ 8) and as for looks,,,,,,,, well you be the judge of that one :mrgreen:

598.jpg

All comments on a large sheet of A4 please, and NO !! it is not for sale as it is probably the only one left in existence.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Serious Cog Swapping :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Looks? It looks like a chromed std gearstick with a moped piston on the top. :lol:

That`s not like you Zeddy dude :shock: You missed it ;) Have a look at how thick it is ??????????????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, All that glitters is not chrome :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

OK it's thicker too. Is that good for any particular reason? I haven't noticed mine bending... :lol:

Here's the lowdown on why aftermarket shifters improve the shift. 8)

The weak point of the original setup is the slot in the socket of the front shift rod and the sprung pin in the ball of the gearstick that locates in the slot. These are what the original setup relied on to keep the stick from rotating. The pin and slot wear over time characterised by the sideways gearstick slop while in gear - you'll notice the sideways movement also rotates the gearstick a little. A sure sign slot and pin are worn. Most wear is in the middle of the slot so in neutral there's even more sideways slop making gear selection awkward - tip - don't let the stick rotate while changing gears. ;)

Aftermarket gearsticks of all varieties AFAIK do away with the pin and slot by pivoting the gearstick differently. That's it.

If you're a skinflint like me just add weld to the wear on the slot and remake it. Same for the pin. Slop all gone and back to original tight shifting. :)

WHY don`t you just admit it Zed, you looooooovvves it don`t you :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, I may know where there`s another one ,,,, tease tease tease smiley :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
WHY don`t you just admit it Zed, you looooooovvves it don`t you :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, I may know where there`s another one ,,,, tease tease tease smiley :mrgreen:
I do loves chrome, but most of all when it's pitted or peeling off. I've got a scraggy semi chrome extension on mine, so nearly as flash as flash 'ol you, but not quite. Your big shiney stick does look manly though. :mrgreen:

We have a vintage speed shifter, the best way to fit this is to take your time, use loctight to secure the stick in the correct position , leave it overnight to set.

The shifter comes with a spacer this must be fitted with the new shifter. There are tow raised edges in the spacer, one has a flat top the other slants down towards the base of the spacer. The flat top is the register to enable the reverese lock out to work, this must be on the side closest to the drivers seat(lhd).

I positioned our selector in neutral before removing our old gear stick , fitted the plate to suit the position on reverse on the gearbox , and hey worked first time with no adjustment.

Transformed our gear selection , and my driving pleasure. The best money I have spent far on the bus.

For me the Berg, these shifters are atomic bomb proof and it makes shifting very easy and they look proper oldshool :mrgreen:

Dirty Harry said:
For me the Berg, these shifters are atomic bomb proof and it makes shifting very easy and they look proper oldshool :mrgreen:

Just a nightmare to find one! Ive been looking for a LHD locking type for ages!

StuF said:
Dirty Harry said:

haven't berg in the states got any you can buy off them direct?

I've bought stuff off them a few times over email and never had any issues

55ovalcharlie said:
StuF said:
Dirty Harry said:

haven't berg in the states got any you can buy off them direct?

I've bought stuff off them a few times over email and never had any issues

I have emailed Berg directly and they have a production run taking place soon but no definitive dates and whether they will have any spare following production for private sales.

Fingers crossed I will hear from them soon

Bundy said:

IMAG0838.jpg

How high is the gearstick? Just as high as the standard one?

So when you wanna fit the Bug-Tech there is no adjusting or fine-tuning needed? (Rees Dld is just across the border from here...;-) )

I used to run an Empi/Hurst jobbie, couldn't fault it. Now got a CSP which I love :mrgreen:
Not impressed with the Vintage Speed stuff, was out with a mate the weekend and his snapped clean in half!!! :shock:

Remon T2a said:
Bundy said:

IMAG0838.jpg

How high is the gearstick? Just as high as the standard one?

So when you wanna fit the Bug-Tech there is no adjusting or fine-tuning needed? (Rees Dld is just across the border from here...;-) )

It is as far as I can tell the same height as standard, but they do extension pieces for them if you want a little more length :msn4:
Mine just gets in the way of the handbrake but not enough to be a problem.
There is some adjustment possible and maybe needed in the ball at the bottom...it screws in and out to suit where you want it to sit in the cup on the shift rod, but side to side there appears to be no adjustment needed and certainly not alot possible anyway!

Latest posts