Replacement Indicator Stalk - 8 wire to 5 wire, please help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicpolky

Reaction score
Hello there. I'm really hoping someone has done this before.

I replacing an original 5 wire UK spec indicator stalk with a new/repro Just Kampers 8 wire one

Obviously none of the wire colours on the new unit correspond with the old colours

Original
Black/Green
Black/White
Black/Green/White
Brown
Brown/White

I've worked out where all these go under the dash but no idea which of the new wires go where

New
Green/Yellow
Red/Black
Black/Green
Red/Yellow
Grey
Brown
Brown/Black
Black

Obviously 3 of the new wires are redundant

Any help appreciated

Cheers!

Get hold of a wiring diagram for the original switch and work out which colour wire goes where (left/right/flash). Use a battery (9v would do) connect that to the +v source wire then use a small light bulb and and a multimeter to work out which wires correspond to the left / right and flash wires on the new stalk.

8 Wire is USA Spec with front and rear indicators have their own wire so work out left and right and just join the 2 x left together and 2 x right together

Brown is earth and Brown with a white trace is a switched earth ( high and low beam through the relay)

Thanks all for the help. We managed to work it out yesterday with the help of some diagrams and a helpful guide to a US spec unit (albeit with different wires

If anyone is look to do this same thing - replace a UK spec 5 wire indicator stalk with a new Just Kampers 8 wire, US spec one (the only type available at the moment), this is what you need to know

Note where your original 5 wires connect to under the dash, then connect the new as follows*

New unit Brown = The old brown wire form the original unit
New Brown/Black = Old Brown/White
New Black = Old Black/Green/White
New Black/Yellow = Old Black/White
New Red/Black = Old Green/Black

You don't need the following wires from the new unit (I just cut and sealed them but check everything works for yourself before you do this) this also makes the black sleeve narrower to fit through the early UK holes

Yellow/Green
Yellow/Red
White

We fitted the new internals inside the old housing, which means you don't have to remove the steering wheel

*Please note this is for the Just Kampers supplied unit, others might have different coloured wires

Last edited:
Thanks all for the help. We managed to work it out yesterday with the help of some diagrams and a helpful guide to a US spec unit (albeit with different wires

If anyone is look to do this same thing - replace a UK spec 5 wire indicator stalk with a new Just Kampers 8 wire, US spec one (the only type available at the moment), this is what you need to know

Note where your original 5 wires connect to under the dash, then connect the new as follows*

New unit Brown = The old brown wire form the original unit
New Brown/Black = Old Brown/White
New Black = Old Black/Green/White
New Black/Yellow = Old Black/White
New Red/Black = Old Green/Black

You don't need the following wires from the new unit (I just cut and sealed them but check everything works for yourself before you do this) this also makes the black sleeve narrower to fit through the early UK holes

Yellow/Green
Yellow/Red
White

We fitted the new internals inside the old housing, which means you don't have to remove the steering wheel

*Please note this is for the Just Kampers supplied unit, others might have different coloured wires
That looks like a great write up on what can only be a. Ore frequently asked question. Thanks for the run down on the end.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, not many parts getting newer on these vans :)

That looks like a great write up on what can only be a. Ore frequently asked question. Thanks for the run down on the end.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, not many parts getting newer on these vans :)
Thanks, I was looking to try to edit the first post so it had the answer in it but it doesn't look like I can. Hopefully someone else will find this helpful, as you say, these kinds of challenges are only going to become more frequent.

Latest posts