Replacing brake lines

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinhall

Reaction score
Hi,

Van resto has been paused for a couple of years but finally cracking back on. Got a set of replacement brake lines to fit but can't work out how to get the old ones off! anyone know how the clips are held shut?

cheers,
Kev

They're a curved fork arrangement...

6AF1D4C3-FB06-442F-B203-656457AF3984.jpg

get yourself a big blunt screwdriver and a hammer, smack one of the legs and they'll come off fine. You can also get a pair of pliers on the raised section of the blunt end and wiggle them off.

Or I will give you the little plastic ones as that is how I read your post :) so it will at least cover both types of clip?

They just open up and the pipe falls down.

cheers guys. it's the ones under the van that hold the steel lines, rather than the ones that hold the flexi pipes.... guessing that's the plastic ones. mine have been painted over so hard to see. Will have to have a play.

Hi Kevin,

I'm in the process of replacing my metal brake pipes as well.
They are connected to the body by little white plastic clips that are screwed in with a no 6 head bolt. Undo all of these take the screw out and then you can lift the tab to release the pipe. Most of mine were so brittle or broken already that I just needed to pry the remaining clips out of the body using a shorty screw driver. Theses are held into the body by tree tabs that go into the hole. Guess you need to take the screw out first though. I bought some replacement clips from C&C or VWH can't remember and they are great.

Oh I got the Vewib replacement pipes and the two front pipes to the T are about an inch too long. Got a pipe bender from Machine Mart for a tenner, but just saw Aldi has a better one can bend 180degrees also for a tenner.

Good luck!

Andy

Thanks Andy. And cheers for the Aldi hint.. I'll pop in tomorrow.

Latest posts