Replacing valve guides, how difficult is it?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a pair of cylinder heads off my old engine that I want to recon. Valve seats look good, valve guides are worn and one is totally shot.

Firstly is it possible to get the old guides out and new ones on without a hydraulic press?

If it is what tools do I heed, I assume that thrashing a guide with a hammer to get it in is not the way forward.

Any advice appreciated.

Ian

I don't think valve guides are a DIY job, although I have heard of people replacing them using an oven and some liquid nitrogen before...

Noddy,

It can be done at home but not really recommended. I have done it in the past on bike heads.
Head in the oven and the guides overnight in the freezer. You will need a valve guide tool (I think CB Performance do them) so that you don't mushroom the guide whilst whacking it with your 10 lb lump hammer :shock:

The biggest problem you are likely to encounter is getting the guide absolutely square in the head. If it goes in even slightly squew-wiff the valve head won't seal against the valve seat.

Job for the pro's if you have any doubts.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Cheers

Andi

Latest posts