Ride too harsh. Advice needed!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisco69

Reaction score
I'm running Transporterhaus dropped spindles on my van using the stock beam!
I've been using spax adjustable shocks and the ride was nice but the tires scuffed on the arches when carrying passengers.

To over come this I have fitted coil over shocks which has stopped the tyres hitting the arches but the ride is too harsh. Instead of slowing down for pot holes, bumps etc to reduce tyre scuff I'm now slowing down so I don't bounce out of my seat!!

The shocks are on their lowest setting!

What are my options? Has anyone resolved this themselves??

I can't spend much more money on the suspension really!

Could be time to change the van for a T5 I think!!!

P.S. tubbing the arches is not something I want to do if I can help it!!!

Dare I say that standard suspension would not be like that....and not have cost any extra money either (Call me old fasioned! lol) :D

Toad said:
Dare I say that standard suspension would not be like that....and not have cost any extra money either (Call me old fasioned! lol) :D

Thanks for that!!! Only problem with standard suspension is the amount of body roll when going round even a gradual bend at anything over 20mph and the height of a standard van is just ridiculous IMHO.

what type/make coil overs ? ride is usualy good with thaus drop spindles and correct spring rate on coil overs .try midland early bay as graham has a good setup on his bus and was selling gas adjustable coil overs with correct rate springs.

67panel said:
what type/make coil overs ? ride is usualy good with thaus drop spindles and correct spring rate on coil overs .try midland early bay as graham has a good setup on his bus and was selling gas adjustable coil overs with correct rate springs.

I bought them from Transporterhaus.

O.E. Brand by FPD is written on the packaging!

Stick the Spax back on and get some low profile tyres. Most guys on here run 175/55 15's. Not sure what's available off hand for stock size rims...

Jim

the_troupster said:
Stick the Spax back on and get some low profile tyres. Most guys on here run 175/55 15's. Not sure what's available off hand for stock size rims...

Jim

Thanks for your help Jim,

I will look into that.

Can anyone running 14" rims suggest a suitable tyre size?
I guess I could drop into the local tyre shop and ask for an equivalent diameter.

i need to make my ride harsher.need to see these shocks that graham has.im sure ive seen them on here before.i have bugpack coil overs and theyre too soft.maybe spax coilovers?????

peelerhall said:
i need to make my ride harsher.need to see these shocks that graham has.im sure ive seen them on here before.i have bugpack coil overs and theyre too soft.maybe spax coilovers?????

Are you running Transporterhaus spindles?

It would be good to hear what other guys are using with their spindles and what the ride is like.

yes transporterhaus spndles with a narrowed slamwerks beam and the coilovers they supply.its too soft and bottoms slightly on the beam and tire rubbin .just needs firming up a tad and i reckon its there.

Got Monroe air shocks (MA803) on transporterhaus spindles and creative weedeater beam on a crossover!
They were cheap to buy even including p&p from the states & can increase the pressure to allow slight height adjustment.
Running 175/55/15s in the front and don't get any rub(unless I really try hard!)

Loxy said:
Got Monroe air shocks (MA803) on transporterhaus spindles and creative weedeater beam on a crossover!
They were cheap to buy even including p&p from the states & can increase the pressure to allow slight height adjustment.
Running 175/55/15s in the front and don't get any rub(unless I really try hard!)

Yours is narrowed though isn't it? That will give a little more clearance than my stock beam.
I wonder if I should have stuck with the weedeater beam? Oh well too late now.

im quite low and im runnin 165.50.15s .but i do feel that just that extra harder shock would make the difference.

Frisco69 said:
the_troupster said:

Jim

Thanks for your help Jim,

I will look into that.

Can anyone running 14" rims suggest a suitable tyre size?
I guess I could drop into the local tyre shop and ask for an equivalent diameter.

Ive got 175/65 on my 14 stock rims and usually fine. A bit of rubbage occasionally. Nothing to worry about though.

Thanks to all those that replied with some ideas.
My brother has some low profile tyres on 14" rims so I'm gonna refit the spax shocks as suggested and try those and see if we get any rub!!

hi pal i run 175 65 r14 on my dorma with standard rear beatle coilovers from gsf, set them to medium and no problems at all its a lovely ride :mrgreen: . cheers phil

montypsx said:
hi pal i run 175 65 r14 on my dorma with standard rear beatle coilovers from gsf, set them to medium and no problems at all its a lovely ride :mrgreen: . cheers phil

Cheers Phil,

I may try those. What's it like fully loaded? Still good?

Matt.

Latest posts