Right coil for 123 dissy.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboosie

Reaction score
Splashed out on the of them 123 distributors with bosch black 3ohm coil. My question is this the right coil? Took van for mot drove okay, passed with flying colour. So on the way to camperjam it lost power and wouldn’t rev. Leave it a couple of minute, starts up okay then dies again. Just need some advice to get the girl running sweet again.

This is from the spec on website and as stated above,

Stock or high energy coil, primary coil NOT below 1,0 ohm.

I have a 123 fitted and have used both a Bosch Blue standard coil and a Viper Dry coil, both ran fine.

Hope you get to the bottom of it, could be something else perhaps, all connections good I take it?

Yes that’s was I read in the instruction, so when for the 3ohm type. Coil fitted correctly. May be leads or plugs? Thanks.

I’ve been fannying about with my dissy a fair old bit lately for various reasons. I’ve got a new cap on and rotor etc etc etc new leads blah blah blah. Long story short is I’ve had several issues all pumping shit my way at the same time and one of the big ones seemed to be the new leads. They’re new and very good, but because they’re new, I was having issues with the caps holding the leads terminal slightly out of the cap and struggled to get them to sit nice. It was all about the stretchyness stooping the terminal clicking in. So I got two tiny tiny screw drivers and lifted where the cap was tight to the lead and chucked some talcum powder down the gap then spread it about with another little dude driver, then kept working it around from both sides until I could slide the cap up and down. Once I’d done that I could make the terminal clip down nicely and se it sit home then slide the cap cover over down nice and tight.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,end of that little problemo,,but there was more :)

Splashed out on the of them 123 distributors with bosch black 3ohm coil. My question is this the right coil? Took van for mot drove okay, passed with flying colour. So on the way to camperjam it lost power and wouldn’t rev. Leave it a couple of minute, starts up okay then dies again. Just need some advice to get the girl running sweet again.
Assuming your coil is correct, this sounds more like a fuel problem perhaps. Like fuel starvation for some reason.
Any pics of your engine setup ?

Fuel pump seems okay. Was also a warm day when it died. As I said before drove okay for couple of miles then lost power in 4th. Would restart okay and tick over but would splutter and cut out when rev’ed up. Thanks.

Attachments

• CA1226AB-1C1F-4E8D-9132-36DA2D841E6D.jpeg
    CA1226AB-1C1F-4E8D-9132-36DA2D841E6D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Humm, have you checked the voltage when you rev it? I have had problems in the past with an alternator which worked most of the time. Load does make a difference. Made it look like a problem with the coil. Hitting it with a hammer got me home from Cornwall.

I have a 123 also, I have found have an aggressive advanced gives me the best driving experience (Smooth power), my van is going onto a rolling road again in a few weeks so it might change. I am not able / happy with my mixtures, and the snail balance thing is not as accurate as my OCD needs.

When I started fitting the 123 I had a flame thrower coil which it did not like, the bosh blue has been fine.

1776 fast road cam, twin weber 40's, Bosh Blue coil. 123 Curve Taken from the performance VW curve and tweeted a bit after driving. What curve are you using, not suggesting its a cause, just interested. Are you using the Vacuum advance?

123 Curve
500 0
1000 0
1300 7.0
1400 10
1500 15
1600 17
17:00 18
2000 21
2500 30

No vacuum advance, set the curve to position F. Spoke to a friend at the weekend who is a car mechanic and had a few VW air cooled vehicles. He told me sounds like fuel starvation and said to get rid of the mech pump and fit electrical one with pressure regulator.

I have a very similar fuel set up, what pressure is your Malpassi set at? Mine’s mounted higher up on that side and I’m tee’d off at the output side to each carb. Granted the left carb hose is slightly shorter than the right side, but it’s never caused a starvation problem.

Looking at your pic, and the fuel hose route, the fuel has to travel a fair way after the Malpassi. Does the fuel bowl level reduce after a run or is it always full?

I also have a 123 and have been very pleased with it 👍

IMG_6675.jpeg

25856e6a-5725-4a29-af19-49301766fce6.jpeg

Attachments

• 25856e6a-5725-4a29-af19-49301766fce6.jpeg
    25856e6a-5725-4a29-af19-49301766fce6.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 1
No vacuum advance, set the curve to position F. Spoke to a friend at the weekend who is a car mechanic and had a few VW air cooled vehicles. He told me sounds like fuel starvation and said to get rid of the mech pump and fit electrical one with pressure regulator.
Have you checked you’re getting fuel before and after the pump?
Could be the tank outlet sock is crushed or blocked.

Tank okay and pump working but don’t know if the pressure is there. Fuel filter pressure set out of the box and bowl is always fuel. Been running okay for several year with this set up apart for new coil and 123 dissy.

When you say no vacuum advance, do you mean you are not using the vacuum port on the 123 dissy?
I am sure I can see a vacuum port in your picture unless my eyes deceive me.

I don’t think that will be the cause of your problems. 🧐 However I do think you should hook up the vac advance as the dissy is designed to work with this signal and will make acceleration smoother.

IMG_6233.jpeg

IMG_6709.jpeg

I don’t think F setting is correct for your application. That’s not the 009 you’re thinking of. The mechanical 009 is 231.173.009 and you clearly have a Vac 123 dizzy. F setting is expecting to see vacuum to give an additional 9 deg of advance. Can’t tell exactly what carbs you have, is there no vac port available? Did you have a 009 before the changes?

Last edited:
Thanks Mike will look into it. Yes Matty had a 009 on it before. My carbs are cheap 34 ict’s the cheap ones 🤣, think there is a vac port on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts