Rolling road

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep being told I should get my big standard 1600 TP onto a rolling road. Why should I do it I thought this was just for performance cars. Wouldn't mind just to see what BHP I have but would there be a benefit. Thank you

Should be able to get you running smoother /faster / more economically or a combination of .
However if you have no running issues , if everything is good ,not running hot , possibly not going to be much point .
will be able to get your timing spot on , make sure your carb/s breathing correctly / has correct jets etc (?if you have twin carbs will balance them perfectly?)
Its a good idea to have it done , should get everything running at there best , but if your happy with how your running now....

I have twin carbs an an annoying flat spot at 58 ish mph clears by 62mph , so ill be going to see if they can find it , cause I can't figure it out.
saying that my daily commute doesn't allow such elevated speeds , so not that annoying , but everytime I hit the motorway ... it annoys
think I'm probably slightly overjetted on the carbs/idle as well ( 20-22mpg) runs/smells a little rich, but great fun to drive !
Its on my list , but then so is a proper fridge , solar panel , gearbox that doesn't jump out of 4th etc etc
Chico

Let us know how you get on it you think it been worthwhile / notice the difference etc

Chico

trying to find one at moment. a guy in Swansea only does high performance but he has put me onto GotBoost in Bridgend. waiting for a call back on price etc. people seem to be scratching their heads wondering why I am putting a basic aircooled engine through the process. They just don't get it :roll:

I want to do it as although I think I have done a good job I want it checked see if i can do it better. I am new to this 5 years now and am learning all the time so just want a pat on the back ata boy type stuff. Plus hopefully better economy for my forth coming Ypres trip in September.

I will let you know how it goes, if he is going to ask pop star money i will bin it and keep using the ear and eyeball technique.

I used BD Engineering in Kent Sittingbourne for my Bay, he is well versed in Vintage cars and VW's. Charge was £130 all in. That's new dual carbs set up, timing done to 7.5 degrees and motor runs beautiful

Ok. Went to the rolling road today Gotboost in Bridgend. 1.5 hours for £60 plus another £30 for bits and pieces, labour etc. the outcome is the van is running well at cruising speed but lumpy at the lower end. Bit of a tweek and all seems now to be ok.

One issue he has picked up is that the van is bottoming out at 4800 revs I already had a suspicion that this was the throttle itself. It also showed I only have 25 BHP again this could be down to not having the full throttle range.

Question. Will a Buttys bits throttle give me a better throttle range? Adjusted the cable as best I can, going to check the carpet is not stopping me getting the full range (check the cheap stuff first) cheers

thejinx said:
Ok. Went to the rolling road today Gotboost in Bridgend. 1.5 hours for £60 plus another £30 for bits and pieces, labour etc. the outcome is the van is running well at cruising speed but lumpy at the lower end. Bit of a tweek and all seems now to be ok.

One issue he has picked up is that the van is bottoming out at 4800 revs I already had a suspicion that this was the throttle itself. It also showed I only have 25 BHP again this could be down to not having the full throttle range.

Question. Will a Buttys bits throttle give me a better throttle range? Adjusted the cable as best I can, going to check the carpet is not stopping me getting the full range (check the cheap stuff first) cheers

I fitted a Buttys Bits throttle linkage a few years ago now and i can honestly say it's the best upgrade i've ever done. Take the plunge.....you wont be disappointed mate :D

4800 on a bog standard. That does sound like it was screaming his tits off. If I get up round that , then I'm doing about 65 70 and I won't do that for very long. Maybe my tacho is up the creek but to me that sounds like flat out and some. 4000 or just a tad more is 60 ish for mine. But this is definitely like what oil should you use. VW would put in their owners manuals that top speed and cruising speed were one and the same, But and it's a big but, that was back when everything on the bus was in great shape and not forty five to fifty years later.

Ozziedog,,,,, , just try and stay below warp factor ;) :mrgreen: ;)

I can sit on the motorway at 58 by the sat nav, 63 by the speedo. That is not at full whack. I'm happy with my top end. The rolling road has helped get rid of low speed flat spots. I don't have to dive for the clutch to get revs up when pulling away from a rolling start off a junction in 2nd anymore.

I have a drive from Swansea to the channel tunnel and on to Ypres in Sept so feeling better about that. But is 25 BHP ok?

25HP sounds ridiculously low given that most rolling roads over read, which would indicate it's even less than 25hp.

Get a Buttys bits throttle kit fitted, it should help no end.

Your rear tyre size will define your 70mph cruise RPM. Stock tyres on my bus have approx 4100rpm at 70mph(GPS)
Now I've had ring and pinion changed in the gearbox its closer to 3600rpm at 70mph.

Also, what dizzy have you got fitted?

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

HI
I would have thought you should be in the 40+ bhp ideally
stock cam I think would be roughly 4400 Rpm Max power so 4800 you are unlikely to improve on! .
I think that 4k is enough on stock/stockish engines everything after that is essentially the "redLine " occasional use only
I have a W100 cam which isn't much different to stock , but that would top out at 5K I think , though I've never taken mine past 4k
almost all my power is between 2k to 3.5k .
I Have fitted a buttys bit pedal linkage and there is lots of adjustment , I couldn't get the throttles open fully with my original setup , pedal angle etc , so definitely helped me , but that won't increase your rev range , as your at peak revs , might get 5k .
If your butterfly's not opening fully that would decrease power / acceleration I would guess. I was told that anything past 3/4 fully open is generally good enough.
Not sure that helps , just my thoughts .
C

The RR operator should stop pushing it when he sees the power curve starting to drop. No point in revving to the moon a stock engine when the peak power it's at around 4200-4400rpm.
The point on a RR is to get the engine finely tuned without having to spend hours on road tests which is crucial when you modify the engine or change carbs/exhaust, etc. If you have a stock engine, stock carb and jets, it will not make more power than when it was tuned properly before.
Abel

Cheers fellas lots to think about. I have a week off next week so checking carb and having a general tinker in the engine bay. Buttys bits throttle going to be ordered at end of month. Hopefully my lack of BHP is down to the amount of travel left on my spring arm on the carb. Had a look at the throttle the other day. Must say it does look and feel worn.

Latest posts