roof rack tips please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeboll

Reaction score
We have a repro 3 hoop westfalia jobby that I got at a show last year - two bits of advice please

what do people do to stop the clamps savaging the paintwork? one suggestion has been helicopter tape on the gutter rail

what do people use to keep the stuff on the roof rack dry? i'm not one for retro suitcases. was wondering if anyone can recommend a roofrack bag please

ta

Ian

Hi,
I use several waterproof compression sacks from Millets/Blacks.
It's easier juggling them around to fit & easier than trying to lug larger items onto the roof.
You fill them & then close the top & fold it down to get a waterproof seal.
Bungee or ratchet strap the whole lot in place.

Phil.

Hi Ian,
We use 4 small thick pieces of rubber to protect the roof and a £5 piece of plastic tarp and then the net type bunjy cord cover holder. The rubber I used is from a piece of flue jointing.(gas flue)

May help may not, good luck.

Hockey tape works well. It's strong and thick but pretty much invisible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used an old margarine / strawberry type container and used the top lip to go over the end of the roof rack leg then trimmed it around the leg and foot. A clear one worked well because it was plastic and hardly noticeable. The clamps had some sticky back foam on them but you can`t go too thick or you won`t be able to close your doors, and that`s worth checking before you start, that there is room for the clamps and for the door to still open because after all, these old vans may have had the doors on and off a few times over the years and the gaps will almost certainly have changed.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Go on then,,,,,,,, ask me how I know :lol: :lol: :lol:

robins said:
how do you know ;)

COUGH Rich ;) Do you know how long you can spend adjusting a vans door ??? The rest of your life I reckon Rich, just to get a roof rack on. AND !!!!! I washed my van today and rinsed it off with a watering can because the bloody hose won`t reach and now I`ve got two soaking wet seats, so I`ll spend the rest of my life adjusting doors then. :shock: :? :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Or just don`t wash the bloody thing again,, never done it before and it was all right :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

Rubber from an old bicycle inner tube would probably lend itself quite well.

ozziedog said:
robins said:
how do you know ;)

COUGH Rich ;) Do you know how long you can spend adjusting a vans door ??? The rest of your life I reckon Rich, just to get a roof rack on. AND !!!!! I washed my van today and rinsed it off with a watering can because the bloody hose won`t reach and now I`ve got two soaking wet seats, so I`ll spend the rest of my life adjusting doors then. :shock: :? :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Or just don`t wash the bloody thing again,, never done it before and it was all right :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

i put my rack up the ass end no doors to worry about 8) but never put it on cant lift it on my own and the miss wont go nere the van to help :roll: two pairs of socks work on the end of the legs ;)

Lobelowe said:

Thats what I used to use.

Lobelowe said:

this is what i use, old inner tubes should be in every toolkit and easy top cut with sharp scissors to shape up, well handy......

Latest posts