rough runner!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave

Reaction score
Not in my bay, but in my 1600 beetle, had a recon motor about 500 miles ago, had various initial issues which ended up being carb jet and distributor issues. so its been running as sweet as a nut til now!!! was running rough and very jerky, stalling at junctions and being a pig to restart, found distributor was loss so got engine builder to come a sort as Its under warranty!! took it out for a spin today and ran sweet to start with, then as the engine got warmer it started running rougher on acceleration , started to get very judderey just prior to my arrival home , builder coming to look next week but was wondering if anybody had any ideas what it could be???

Hi - can you give more info on the engine (or a piccie) - e.g. does it have a stock air filter or pancake (possibly icing) - I'd also look for any loose connection to the carb that would allow air leaking - as when cold it's over fuelled with choke on and may mask something like a loose vacuum pipe on the dizzy or carb? as it's a new recon engine (did you buy turn-key or just the block and re-use ancillaries?) I would double-check every nut and bolt such as manifold to carb e.t.c.

could your distributor be moving again, maybe the clamp has had it? the aftermarket clamps aren't that great apparently, if that's what you have....

oil bath filter, brought engine as a turnkey unit, all new vac pipes, dizzy , fuel pump. just took for spin and is getting lumpy from cold!!

After market dizzy clamp but dizzy is clamped in and not moving!!

Have you tried a known good coil?

Could be that breaking down when the engine gets hot

StuF said:
Have you tried a known good coil?

Could be that breaking down when the engine gets hot

i agree with stu check the coil ;)

chris

First thing I would check is the gap and condition of the points if its using them ?
Check batt earth connections and everything is connected right , start with the easy fixes first.

squirt72 said:
First thing I would check is the gap and condition of the points if its using them ?

Its currently on points and I ve just checked them and you ve guessed it they were way out!!! totally closed up !! Haynes book to the rescue again!!!
All running sweet again for now!!

Thanks for the help guys 8) 8)

Latest posts