RubyBlu - A jovial illustrated build thread!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a3udebez.jpg

Uh oh .... Cleaned piston up and can see the damage better now. Anyone know if this warrants a new set or is it ok?

Great write up !, I've seen worse, a lot worse ;)

If you decide not to use them pistons let mw know, i've got a nice set of Genuine VW Barrels and pistons here

Today I had reason to take the old floor out to see the condition if the innards...

Old floor...

ajyha4a2.jpg

Screwed down to something...

More wood .... The screws holding this one down felt like they were welded in. A bit of nail bar action, a few slips and a hole in my hand later and it came out.

usa4udu6.jpg

The screws were much looser without the wood there. I will be filling the screw holes up and putting down something a little more insulated at some point in the future.

Yesterday the sky was blue and the sun was hot.... I rinsed out my favourite string vest and ventured into the workshop... well... onto the drive.

After discovering the rust and making a start at stripping Ruby down I thought I would have a go at taking the gearbox out and starting to cut some of the belly pans off to get a proper look.

7973A986-B7F3-4A16-8041-190CDF169ED7_zpsctx6080o.jpg

Apparently just grabbing it and pulling doesn't work

So a few minutes re-acquainting myself with the Haynes manual... There she was... Lying on the floor in the hot sun..... (clean your mind!)

97C4A0B2-CBB4-4D58-A733-83434D9C88C3_zpsiz29liiw.jpg

Right on to the belly pan... I am sure they have a proper name. The drivers side was hanging off and this showed off the damage to the OS chassis, so I cut it out.... Strangely therapeutic...

1CF48E63-FEDB-4C2D-9110-92A79580870B_zpscjeojqlu.jpg

Onto the NS small panel, (I will do the centre another day)... I can't think of anything better that mixes with molten metal than....

9F516C4A-40EC-4B95-B6FA-64D163A1C47E_zps7dxdxe3s.jpg

A mouse's nest!... Although they seem to have been evicted a good few years ago.

Roll on next sunny day!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's been a while but I have had some time to get re-acquainted with the old girl and time to start cleaning down some of the bigger chunks of metal that I have taken out the bus.... Starting with the gearbox and engine cases .... unfortunately it won't fit in a bath of Rola Cola.... not will if fit in the dish washer :cry:

It seems as though a good measure of elbow grease and lawn ruining washing is in order...... so I set out my stall!!

I feel as though a non beetroot induced pink stool and a yellow bucket are essential tools of the trade...

EE1915D0-6A7F-443D-95E8-17E9567DD982_zpsrjlqgyhj.jpg

Engine case washed down..... ish..... still a million miles from where I want it.... well about 10 yards from the bus.... it just needs to shine so I can paint it!

As I was too busy washing parts and enjoying the sun I neglected to take a before and after of the gearbox.. but if you scroll to some earlier entries you can see it as it came out the van.... PPE donned and wire wheel in hand and it was cleaning time.....

B8501CE7-C03E-4E82-B055-38D7B7D67BB7_zps6hlq7jjj.jpg

A full day was spent cleaning the gearbox down and it was getting there, it was very pitted and loads of muck build up..... Easter Weekend was coming and I intend to use it for great things!!

I also used the time to clean down the engine support bar and give it a coat of paint to protect it.

Before....
85761101-B37F-4E4E-AC81-816CB13C58F7_zpsxb0bccvd.jpg

During strip and clean..... (I can't find the photo of it sprayed up... will post another in the future.... but just imagine it with matt black on it)
89282A0C-F64C-45AA-8D48-15F7154C5146_zpsram940fw.jpg

(Fast forward a few days.....)

...... EASTER WEEKEND ARRIVES!!!!

Gearbox gets a good 6 hours of my attention....
10884D56-8242-471E-9E83-E0D76195FD7A_zpsyjjfvu8e.jpg

Shiny!!.... Although even with a Dremmel getting the muck out the corners is a MASSIVE pain.
2D1C4770-1A97-46CB-B379-9D1B22668F2A_zpsaobwy9uw.jpg

.... time for a change but a few more hours and it should be ready for replacing the bolts, cleaning the half shaft receivers and washing down with thinners ready for spraying... I am thinking a nice metallic red...

Dinner was had and then I headed back out to have a go at one of the engine cases..

A lot easier I hope as some bigger areas and can crack out the big wire wheel...
59534188-5FC3-4FEF-AE7D-EE854929CD95_zpsozbtm6fy.jpg

Coming along nicely....
FC09D4AF-BB8F-48B5-8E1B-12EBE8B76F52_zpsmdxpz7li.jpg

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! ..... This is what happens when you try and hold an engine case with one hand whilst using a wire wheel in a drill on the other..... without wearing gloves.... What a numpty!! lesson learnt!!
56AC2D16-2603-4D14-B067-766D1B69C131_zpslugyejxi.jpg

More tomorrow.... as went inside to tend to my wound!

(Ok photos went massive.... Photobucket was not updating sizes...)

Great read, thanks for letting us enter your world.
I would suggest getting the Bentley manual as it has a lot more info than the Haynes book.

White spirit and a stiff brush will get most of the gunk out.
Will you spray the lawn green to remove the brown oily patches ?

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

OK I didn't get gang green and rot... although tomorrow took a while to get to.

Here are the polished engine cases as promised.
FAC2DC06-487D-4663-92BD-937436F4C823_zpscqdjoxy1.jpg

Still got a little more to do but got other priorities for now...

I have been looking into the bodywork and investigating the best way to resto and make it last, chatting to a few people media blasting has too many cons for me to consider, however it was an option.... I could sand it down... but lets be honest, that is a ball ache!

Chem dipping.... back to metal, everything... shiny!! You know I love shiny! Apparently it is likely to look like a teabag when it has been dipped.... so you could say the van is going to get a good tea bagging.... sorry but couldn't resist that gag.

I have found a guy who will be doing the welding, bodywork (not that there is much... body work that is... chassis is fooked!)... The downside.... I have to take everything off, and take it back to a shell.... that means EVERYTHING!! So, it starts.

Windows out.... BOOM! (and headliner started... and finished shortly thereafter)
4D17CC42-D30D-4CE9-9ACF-B232692CBBCD_zpsxap7d48h.jpg

I always wondered how tricky it is to get the dash out, pedals and steering wheel out.... tools; ready. enthusiasm; armed
A37C1AC4-4CDF-4574-BE88-A865CD1E4C77_zpsxuyrvomk.jpg

Dash and pedals out.... BOOM!.... Steering wheel.... hmmmm.... I'll sleep on that!
68AF5AE5-1F7E-4297-BE3A-F2A6263976A2_zpsbmjxygv4.jpg

Dash.... (but don't hurry... you'll damage it.)
FD455EA3-5F63-4EAD-9D04-DDB301E3CE67_zpsfpfuyun5.jpg

As I started to strip the wiring loom, I saw a lot of damaged wires, that repairing would just bodge and further back in the bus something had got under the van and damaged the outer casing and cut through a couple others... I may well regret it but looks like I will be doing a full re-wire!... the photo below is the only one I took of the wires as my rubber coated copper journey around the bus kept me busy for a while!
ccfda88d-d2cb-415e-986a-14395d31f468_zps0ad4e1ed.jpg

Time for bed....
12A96388-3046-449E-84CF-8E32BC60A2B3_zpscp73odlf.jpg

Rather annoyingly and as promised I was dreaming about my steering wheel all night..... here's how to get one off very easily, shame the steering wheel was cracked already from a previous owner's attempt...

I used an old screw, big enough to block the hole in the middle, and to stop the puller from going down..... there's a pun there I just don't know how to deliver it.
IMG_4295_zpsfcf05be5.jpg

Boil a kettle and pour it over the middle of the wheel, making sure it goes into the splines, and catch it in a towel. The theory behind this is that the hot water makes the splines expand and when they cool it frees off the grip on the wheel.... then just pull it off, I had to use the puller a little, but it came off nicely.

My next job for the day was a little less graceful and involved 3 trips to the tip to dispose of the waste fuel... which was treacly and brown.... and you will see why.

It was my intention to remove the fuel tank only to facilitate the tea bagging process, however, as with most jobs on this van I am always pleased that I go that little bit further than originally planned.

Once the tank was drained and I was happy that I was not going to explode I started work trying to get the panel off at the back of the fuel tank, it is supposedly held on by a few screws at the bottom.... but on this day there was a greater power at work!!!

Suffice to say this "greater power" hadn't met my crowbar before.... admittedly I will now need to source a new panel...
IMG_4282_zps97cbdfca.jpg

The panel detached and the fuel tank looks shiny new.....having been hidden away for 4 decades.... but it was hiding a dark secret....
IMG_4283_zps958418cc.jpg

... oh.... and the bolts to those straps were a major pain in the arse, and the right hand strap needed cutting off.
IMG_4287_zpsf79731a0.jpg

One of the elbows on the breather pipe was significantly fractured too, which would have resulted in leaking fumes...which no-one wants that close to an engine.. glad I caught it.... no this is not it's dark secret
IMG_4285_zps147a79d6.jpg

Fuel tank out.... BOOM!!! Thank god it didn't... as let's be honest, anyone who starts to take a fuel tank out with a crow bar is waiting for the BOOM!!!
IMG_4288_zpse3d6c4dc.jpg

I removed the fuel sender to keep as a spare.... look at the discoloring and gunge on it!! The engine had been used with additive, and this had gouged up the sender, I would be surprised if the fuel gauge worked at all.
IMG_4294_zps3c55627c.jpg

The next shot give you an idea of the rest of the inside of the tank, which I could not get to come out properly on a photo. I am not sure WTF all that gunk is but I am certain it is not supposed to be in a fuel tank.... furthermore in an engine!
IMG_4292_zpsc4628ef8.jpg

All the fins inside the tank were rusty and covered in the same build up so suffice to say it needs replacing.

So a pretty eventful weekend... next week end I intend to jack it up, take the steering and brake system apart, leaving only the suspension, axles and wheels to be done prior to getting onto a flat bed, for delivery to Tetley's.

Question:
Name the part.... I'll give you a clue... it came from the front half of the van.... and I can't work it out!!
I have left it big so it can be seen.
d62b839d-371f-4e03-9121-b2b644bc30eb_zps58c28eb4.jpg

That's it for now.

Steve

Mr1ncognit0 said:
Question:
Name the part.... I'll give you a clue... it came from the front half of the van.... and I can't work it out!!
I have left it big so it can be seen.
d62b839d-371f-4e03-9121-b2b644bc30eb_zps58c28eb4.jpg

That's it for now.

Steve

I can help with that. Here it is in my van:

2eq5lz6.jpg

2qcmmmb.jpg

2hwi5p5.jpg

efo595.jpg

I use it to hold the safety triangle, but I don't know whether that's the intention of it... :mrgreen:

I really like reading your thread and you're doing a great job! Keep it up! 8)

So my rubber thing seem to make a good Warning Triangle Holder.... note taken... I am expecting to use one regularly as I flash my hazards on the sides of A roads around the country!!

Just been wandering around the VW NW show in Tatton park and am totally inspired and can't wait to get rolling again. The past few months have been crazy and I have been grabbing wrench time wherever I can to get the axle and brakes stripped ready for dipping....

Last time I saw my Bus she was like this!!.....

IMG_2764_zpse04c8abd.jpg

It was an entertaining trip down the M6 on a trailer that was built for an inflatable slide but did a stirling job... As you can see the strip out has progressed somewhat since my last post.... I am a little concerned I will need a new Front axle as the facing plates were rusted through and wouldn't separate themselves... hmmmm... that and I angle grindered the arms off to get the torsion bars off.... professional view would be welcome....

IMG_2662_zpsdbe0db0a.jpg

Next few months will be going through the dip / weld / redip and etch primer before painting... colour choice is a massive thing and got some good ideas from Tatton... but not from VW on show... from mini's in the car park.... I wonder what Pearlescent Duckegg blue will look like...... :S

I thought I would post a picture of my childhood mobile home as mentioned it a few times to some of the guys I chatted to, so here she is...

9b66_12_zps08f2a2a9.jpg

Sadly no longer in the family... but she did us proud! Classic 80's colour scheme....

BO9umPgCGkKGrHgoOKkUEjlLmVpKoBJVlgozig_12_zpsb8e492a6.jpg

Fitted out by my Dad and his mate.

More posted as the process progresses... Envirostrip are going to take plenty of photos so will stick them on here too.

Loved today at Tatton and can't wait to get back on with my project..... Really want an Subaru conversion now....

It was our holiday home... Bought for £450 as a full bus and converted by 2 guys over 1 summer. Sadly not many photos of the process.

5 ring burner, fridge, shower, loo, 4 bunks, double bed, kitchen table dropped into a double. Bed and the front seating area converted into a double bed too. Was pretty cool for many years, good few years and a cheap way to have holidays... Wouldn't be possible nowadays the way fuel prices are.

Cut my teeth on roadside repairs in that so a VW bus doesn't really phase me!

Latest posts