RubyBlu - A jovial illustrated build thread!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just returned from the body shop where I have been informed there is likely to be at least £10k worth of welding on chassis....

See below photos and video for a tour of the rust and the sections...

I am absolutely gutted as suddenly the project doesn't become feasible... However, he did recommend that if we find a dry state bus and could do a RHD conversion on it, that is an option..... as you can see below from 10 inches up to the roof is in good nick but the chassis needs replacing.

Lumia1020_20141119_056_zps99595aec.jpg

Lumia1020_20141119_055_zps2a0c31ea.jpg

http://youtu.be/xcLhOtztGok

If any one has any suggestions of where to go from here I am all ears and would be happy to speak to someone (counselling first... and then about sourcing a bus).

This whole project was designed to strip it back to shell and bring it back to a state where it would last but blowing our entire refurb budget on welding (not including parts!!) is not an option....

Any ideas or contacts on sourcing a dry state bus and converting to RHD?

Sorry on the bad news on the cost of the chassis work, mine was not quite as bad as yours after shot blasting but it still cost me £6.5k for the welding to bring it back from the dead.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Mike

That's bad news mate, let it marinate for a few days and then look at your options. £10k is just one estimate, it all depends on what their hourly rate is, I have some guys in Kent near me that I've used for 20 years, they only do air cooled VW's and their hourly rate goes down for the bigger jobs, especially if its on a more relaxed timescale, I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Another option is to offer it to a local 6th form or college for them to learn on, that way you only pay for parts and as long as they are overseen you should get a sound job. There's always options....

Mr1ncognit0 wow that's some decision to make I feel for ya. SiDev where abouts is the garage in kent? you recommend wondering if they are near me?

Caboose said:
Mr1ncognit0 wow that's some decision to make I feel for ya. SiDev where abouts is the garage in kent? you recommend wondering if they are near me?

Volksfarmers, Exted Farm, Elham, nearish to Canterbury. Jane and Bryan have been doing AC VW's for as long as I can remember.

SiDev said:
Caboose said:

Volksfarmers, Exted Farm, Elham, nearish to Canterbury. Jane and Bryan have been doing AC VW's for as long as I can remember.

Cheers SiDev not that far from me I'll have to look them up

Chin up. Look at what I found on mine.
I'm sure you'll find someone that will do the job a fair bit cheaper.

I would suggest doing it yourself, but with work, live etc I am into my 9th year and still not finished :lol:
So, maybe not !

Latest posts