Running wires in camper - what have you done

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo1972

Reaction score
Bodywork well on and hopefully in paint in a couple of weeks.

Now turning my attention to running wires in ready for wiring in leisure battery, fusebox and 240v supply. Like an electrician would first fix a house is what I'm after doing before putting head liner, cards and floor in.

I need to run a wire from LB to fuse board which I plan to put under r n r bed. That is also where the consumer unit will be. So the plan was to run the live wire from lb. Up through hole in spare wheel well, under rear cushion and down to fuse board. From fuse board I want to run the main interior light, 2 led spot lights under the overhead cupboard, a 12v supply cig lighter socket and my radio. I tried to run cables for the lights and radio down the c pillar and come out where the panel card will be and straight to the r n r bed but cannot get a cable down there, even when using a proper cable pull. I can run the cable for the radio under the floor but the lights need to run along the inside of the roof. I also need to run a flex from the consumer unit to two twin sockets, one to be in buddy seat and other in a home made unit where the wardrobe would normally go. Again I wanted to run this in the roof and drop,down to the sockets coming out through the panel cards.

So can anyone give me some idea how you have run your cables to feed all the auxiliary bits and bobs?

I'm about to take on a similar task, I'm gonna run the wires under the bus in a plastic conduit!

I would start by sketching it out and then begin to lay the cables roughly in place labelling as you go. I also ran through extra wires just in case you decide to add an inverter or something in the future. I put the auxiliary fuse box in the engine bay and ran the cables through the wheel well - I didn't like the thought of the cable run through to under the seat being unfused.

ae4f262948f3d6e0b5db4d8759bc785b_zps7191f1f1.jpg

3eb6772e2a5c50e2b9a23a3c0a28e6e3_zpsefa94f7d.jpg

9e75e7791bf2cfa2b6dcdb6ea034cf73_zps795fd600.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't the best but they are all I have.

Great tip about putting the fuse box in the engine bay thanks.

Keep them coming guys, all tips appreciated.

Any tips about running the cables to the lights from the fusebox and keeping them concealed?

Hi - I also thought I could get a wire up into the roof through the C pillar but couldn't find a route through - apparently the light in the cab runs down the A pillar above the fuse box, my setup had 3 fuse boxes:

LB via inline fused wire to a small fusebox under the R&R bed
along to the buddy seat with the main fusebox and connection for a charger to the 240v hookup
then from the buddy seat up under the dash to a 3rd fuse box powering stereo e.t.c.

I plan to take a connection off the front fusebox and replace the orignal wire to the lights, and use this for the other lighting connections

hope that helps

I'm also playing with wires at this moment. Most of them I trie to put underneath the floor, where already are (a lot) more wires at this moment. The difference is I put them in flexible hoses.
I advise a Cyrix-ct Battery Combiner, not only for loading the second battery after the first one is full (with 230 V and also during driving) and it has a nice feature: a parallel connection to use the leisure battery as a starter help when the start battery is too empty.
http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-isolators-and-combiners/cyrix-120A-225A-425A
For the 230 V connection I use a compact Defa connector:
http://www.defa.com/en/automotive/warmup/accessories/cables/connection_kit/

Here are some pictures of my project:

IMG_2109kl_zps3de5d48a.jpg

20141121kl_zps282b7e57.jpg

IMG_2208kl_zps36c530f7.jpg

IMG_2146kl_zpsf37143d6.jpg

IMG_2217_zps2bda0513.jpg

Naarkoelkast2_zpsbd618e56.jpg

Latest posts