Rust spots on cargo floor - POR 15 v Acid etch primer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Reaction score
Hi,

After removing the bench seats and floor mat in my bus I've discovered some rust spots on the cargo floor. There's not loads of it - just mainly where the runners of the seat has been.

I've got some por 15 (and the marine clean etc) which I could use but have read that it's not great for painting on top of and there's the hassle of keeping the treated metal wet before applying the POR15 (all the videos seem to show a single piece of metal but obviously with the cab floor being inside it's going to be tricky rinsing the marine clean/metal ready). Basically, it could be a messy job.

So I was thinking that I've also got some acid etch primer which I could just spray on?

I'm looking to get the rust back to bare metal tonight and do one or the other.

So.....should I use the POR15 or the acid etch primer?

Thanks.

I would use the POR15, IMO. I used it on my cargo floor a few years prior to complete replacement and was surprised on how it lasted. I had to fibreglass bits also so a bit worse than what yours is no doubt.
The acid etch is very good however like many primers its porous. I may be corrected on this... But the acid bit provides the corrosion resistance where the etch is the glue in way for the paint to bind to. This would be fine if covering in a suitable paint....POR15 gets my vote. Hope that helps Steve. Regards Ben

POR15 has to go on rust, unless you use there metal prep. Also not UV friendly, so if its in sunlight, dont use it. Pretty sure POR15 needs a special primer on top to paint over.
I've acid etched (the green really smelly type)clean bare metal and a bug trans, it lasted years without any topcoat and no corrosion, and easy to paint over.

Latest posts