Rusty finger hole near seatbelt mount

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raveboy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Microbus
So whilst I was cleaning up the wheel arches whilst the seats are out, I discovered some internal
rust just where the trim lips round. After kurusting it I started to poke and my stupid finger had
a twitch and went straight through (Picture attached). It's about 2 inches away from the seatbelt
mount, and the seatbelt mount seems very secure and firm (Good metal). Would this be a failure
on the MOT ?? I only ask cause I have to get it done in the next couple of weeks and I thought
I would pre-empt a fail ?

19092011327.jpg

Also, Anyone know what this is ? It's got electrical connections going to it and it appears to hook into the braking circuit underneath - I initially thought it might be the prime lever for the eberspacher heater in the back but now I'm not so sure as it's connected to the brakes. Thoughts ? :roll:

19092011328.jpg

Raver :party0046:

Think that will be a fail that close to the seatbelt mount. Dont know about the leaver but it could be some kind of brake adjuster/compensator.

Anything within 12" of a mounting point is an MOT failure, but it also depends on what they can see. ie if you rubber mat is down and they can't see it they cant fail it. Its a bit of a pitfall of MOT'ing as an MOT tester cant be expected to spot everything when hidden by trim, but is also at risk of missing things and it coming back to bite them.

As for the lever, it looks like a brake line coming out of it and wondered if its fed by the resovoir given where it is, could be a hydraulic hand brake or something :idea:

Thanks guys - Hmmm looks like I'll have to weld.

Never thought of it being a hydraulic handbrake - Judging by the state of the pipe coming out of the bottom of
it though I think I might be changin it out soon - Don't want my fluid to pop when I'm heavy braking on my 4 drums !!
:sick0010:

Maybe it's adapted so a one-legged person can drive it as well? Have you tried it? I would have!

Go a little bit carefull with that as it does look like it`s connected to the brake circuit :shock: . It may just be deception, and could be an ejector seat :shock: :lol: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, This is ground control to all bay astronaughts ! :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
could be an ejector seat

Cricky, I could have stumbled accross an X James Bond car ! Need to find missle button
and spike ejectors - Already have the oil leak button :lol: :lol: :50:

He is Swedish so maybe it's a meatball ejector !

Latest posts