Sat Navs, which 1?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
Further to my 'limited mileage policy' thread and the possibility that the speedo might become un-attached accidently :wink: :wink: what sat navs do people have?
Are there any to avoid?

I've not bought one yet - but have borrowed the father in-law's Tom-Tom One on many an occasion - his Jag has on-board sat nav so seemed a waste for it to be sitting around :)

If I was to buy one I'd go for a Tom-Tom

Tom Tom definitely, had 2 different ones so far and they are great, latest one is a GO 720 from memory but there are cheaper ones and the One does most of the stuff you need,

We borrowed one a couple of years ago to get us round south London to a job. On the return on the M25, wanting to go A1 The North, looking at a road sign pointing left for A1 The North, the thing told us to turn right, which was signposted Central London!
Can't remember the brand but it wasn't Tom-Tom. Have used one of those since and it was fine. Halfords have some deals on sat nav , or did have last week, worth a look.

I got a garmin nuvi widescreen one from halfrauds a while back one a "special deal", seems pretty simple to use & hasnt let me down (yet!).
Think they are on special again at the moment.

Dont forget that it will need a 12v socket to charge it (I believe it was an optional extra on our bays so many dont have them, unless its been retro-fitted).
Sounds obvious I know but I forgot about it when I bought mine :wink:

it was one of these:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_269729_langId_-1_categoryId_165685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guys at work reckoned navman was one to avoid, unfortunately cant remember exactly why that was :oops:

just been to wakefield to pick up some wheels and used my garmin nuvi 200w for the 1st time. Fantastic bit of kit, directions were spot on as was the route/speedo etc :)... cost £94 from curry's 2 days ago.

We inherited a Garmin Street Pilot i3. Bloody useless. We have to sit on our drive for 20 mins before it can find the satellites! Avoid.

tom tom seemed the easiest to use , so I bought the tom tom one - no problems to report,plenty of up grades available too (although not all are official)
hth

froggy said:
Further to my 'limited mileage policy' thread and the possibility that the speedo might become un-attached accidently :wink: :wink: what sat navs do people have?
Are there any to avoid?
if you catch a plane its gps is a garmin.... if you catch a ferry its gps is garmin... not got the fancy stuff that the tomtom has but does what it says on the packet.... my mate has just taken his tomtom back to halfords for the 3rd time was told by the salesman he should have brought a garmin...! 8)

Just go with the flow, let the traffic dictate your speed and the road dictate your journey 8)

if you must know your speed get a cheap cateye digi speedo and program it for whatever the the rolling distance you position the magnets, suprisingly accurate and cheap

just bought a tom tom one v3 with europe maps for under 100 inc next day delivery from handtec.co.uk there is a tom tom one v3 with uk maps for 85 inc next day del

Gadget show did a comparison on 4 different sat navs a whiloe ago and the tom tom came out best, all my friends have them and i use the tom tom software on my pda.

so i like tom tom

VeeDubMan said:
We inherited a Garmin Street Pilot i3. Bloody useless. We have to sit on our drive for 20 mins before it can find the satellites! Avoid.

Thats why you inherited it :lol: :lol:

Ive got a HP PDA with sat nav on it, not that great same a veedub man says got to set it up first and leave it to set its self up.

My mate is a AA man and he uses his tomtom alongside his works one, he reckons the tomtom is better.

swartie said:
Gadget show...

Gadget's got his own show?! :shock:

Actually I was listening to Sara Cox on Radio 1 a few weeks ago and she said she had Gadget Boy on her show, he gets about!! :lol:

...many fingers, many pies :wink: :lol:

garmin I believe are the best when it comes to GPS but as far as simplicity and ease of use TomTom have that one as I understand.

Inspector Gadget had a child????? :D

Latest posts