Saving a '68 from the junkyard....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I doubt anyones paying attention, but I have some questions, so Imma update. Lettttttttttttttttttttts go. Sixty second update.

Got the bus home and cleaned it out.

870632.jpg

870640.jpg

Stock middle seat! Score!

870631.jpg

Floors not that bad.....

870629.jpg

870637.jpg

870638.jpg

870649.jpg

870648.jpg

870647.jpg

Cleaned up pretty well I think!

870646.jpg

870644.jpg

Cleopatra Jones approves!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_8T4VBGIE[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_8T4VBGIE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats how we clean them state side!

Looks good! Its always nice getting something on the road that has been sitting for a long time instead of reaping the rewards of other peoples hard work. My oval sat for 32 years and my bay for 12-13 years. I am sure my bay would have been crushed. A feeling of pride as you drive your forgotten VW is something money cant buy.

Keep up the good work and post pics!

Micky

750903.jpg

Bought a 68 parts bus with heavy frame rot. No matter. It was $400 and I get all my 68 only parts. BOOM. I'll skip the boring shit, but it dont exist no more. Problem is, my bus has one respray and the doors are OG Savannah Beige. Doan really care tho. Its ratty, not a resto.

882448.jpg

Okay to be perfectly honest, I traded this off to someone then bought it back.

882245.jpg

882247.jpg

But, it came with lots more parts than it had before. Ooh shiney!

882252.jpg

Basically, I've got it back in my warehouse, so I figured I'd start playing with it. I have a spare beam, but I want to talk to someone with beam building experience because I have friends that are great welders and I'd like to build my own. Sooooo if you have experience, ideas or tips, parts list or dos/donts id love to hear them. Or just random comments about the bus.

882445.jpg

882249.jpg

This bus is already in better condition than some driving around the UK at the moment! :lol:

Thanks guys! I sold it in a moment of weakness, but then his wife was stronger than him, and in his moment of re-weakness imposed by her strongness, I get it back. :mrgreen:

I ran the Mcode, and it doesnt make sense. Hmm.

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(2) :
- Microbus
- 9 seater (arrangement 3-3-3)
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 228109159
Serial number 109 159
Modelyear 1968
Planned production date February 26 ,1968
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color 522807 - Unknown special color
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 522807 - Unknown special color
Destination USA, Boston, Baltimore

None of that is right. The interior is black. It looks original as far as I can tell. The outside has been resprayed, but the inside is pretty clearly savannah beige. AND its not a nine seater! Urg.

build dates correct though 8) always suprised just how many 68s survive,wish my uk panel was that rust free :mrgreen: nice to see its dent free as nearly all us buses that ive seen are park by feel :msn4: one more for the 68 club.

M Code plate definitely doesn't add up.

If it's an early 68, it should have had light sand/Khaki brown upholstery if it was Savannah beige as you suspect.

If it's a late 68 then it's factory stock savannah beige with black upholstery so the M plate is full of it.

And to top it off there's still a seat missing. :?

At the end of the day it's still a great score and a nice and solid bus. Enjoy it. :D

Latest posts