Scammed .........not!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mabel

Reaction score
Hi, am new to the board and am still looking for my first bay, but this weekend I was close to parting with my hard earned cash. There's probably a thread on this already but the detail to which these "people" go to shows that someone must fall for it for them to keep doing it.

I spotted a classified on ebay, decent looking 1972 tin top, user id 100% for a 75 rating, price not too bad but bit lower than comparable vans elsewhere. Only two photos and the seller asked for my email address to send more. At this point I was having second thoughts but was never intending to pay up front - was always going to cash on the day.

The van in the photos was amazing and the seller described how much resto work had taken place - this didnt add up to the sale price. this was being undersold and i was aware that this is a classic "hooking" technique.

These were sent to my email inbox and not through "ebay message centre" and the name on the email header didn't match the name in the hotmail email address. The seller gave me her address but no phone number. I questioned her on this and asked for a phone number but this was not forthcoming. The name and address all check out (electoral roll) and I even google mapped the address to see if I could see a van!

I did a vehicle check with autotrader and this came up clean other than the van had had a respray. When I emailed the seller to ask what the previous colour was, she confirmed what was on the check and confirmed the VIN. The photos had a builders van in the background so I googled the dialling code and this confirmed that it was for south wales whereas the van was in Beds.

The seller insisted that the deal be done through ebay to protect us both and issued an invoice - Ebay branded with Vehicle Payment Protection. She was very specific in telling me how protected we both would be and sent me another email immediately afterwards for me to make payment and to come and view the van at the end of this week. The invoice only came by email and not through message centre.

That's when I called it a day - basically had I bitten, I would have paid the money to a spoof account thinking that ebay were holding the funds under escrow and by the time I had got to Beds, my money would have been long gone. 'I haven't received a chaser from her for payment and the van has since been removed from ebay - i forwarded the invoice to the spoof email team at ebay but they havent replied yet. The person whose ebay account was being used probably doesn't even know it.

So I still don't have a van but at least I still have my money and will continue my search.......

Close call dude,same thing nearly happened to me.
I got in touch with the eBay spam dept and they confirmed it to be a fishing scam.I too made contact via my personal e mail with similar garuntees,the van was apparently in northern Ireland but when I spoke to the twat he had an eastern block accent he even offered to deliver it to me on the Wirral for free? I'd already priced up getting it back home and would have been £500 plus that was when the penny dropped.That was a few years ago I did eventually gut the bus I wanted but I would be very wary when buying of eBay and do your homework and most of all cash on collection

Good luck dude

Thanks - just goes to show that even with the vehicle checks and electoral roll checks etc, it all appeared to be genuine. When the day comes I'll be carrying cash and taking a friend.

Unless its a recognised trader, or a cheap enough project not to matter ,if the van is in the UK, then go and see it and pay the seller in person. :)

I had similar looking at a T5, for sale 20 miles from my house, seller insisted on the Ebay classified car scheme as described above, wanted me to pay before looking, and would "ship" sale or return!!!!
got more pics sent to me and in the background could see a VERY large hill, East anglia is flat as a pancake, they insisted photos taken at home, so emailed em to say take a hike!!!!

so now if i can not see it, i wont buy it!!!!!!!!! ( EVEN FROM A TRADER )

I bought mine without looking at it... saw it on ebay whilst on night shift, spoke to the seller over the phone in the morning and found out he was a fellow earlybay.com member, I checked out his resto in the gallery on here... had a few hours sleep then hit the buy it now button

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30235&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was still shitting myself on the way down though as I had already done a bank transfer for the full amount...

No guts no glory... Thats bollx I was lucky, make sure you do your research..... twice!!!!

Good Luck dude...

i was selling a lambretta and got a message saying they had bought it now and had paid £500 extra witch i was too forward to the agency that was tasked with collecting the bike..... :lol: yeah right...i sent a message back saying it would cost me £500 in charges from the bank but this was returnable upon transfer completion so please forward me another £500 by western union.... :fyou:
never heard another thing from them.......muppets

Latest posts