Screen wash Issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
I have overpressurised my screen wash system(yes it was for the mot don't use it any other time!)
I now have a pinprick hole in the tubing just as it leaves the wiper switch..
The easiest way to repair it would be to cut it and reattach to the wiper switch.
Is it that easy?
How the hell do you remove the switch (haynes not at all helpful!)
Or could I patch it or cut and fit an inline connector....not sure of the size though...

Need to get this sorted before i can entertain going for mot and seeing ewhat else needs fixing!!!!
Paul

Assuming you have enough slack left in the line I don't see any reason why you can't nip off the end and re-attach. I suggest you mark where you want to cut it off first, then pull it off the switch back, then cut and refit.

I've never removed a washer switch but I assume the process is like many others: push the outer edge of the knob down and turn counter-clockwise. This should remove the knob, exposing the "nut" that is pinching it to the dash.

Image pinched from JustKampers here: http://www.justkampers.com/141-955-517-wash-wipe-switch-dash-mounted-vw-beetle-1961-1968-vw-t2-bay-1967-1972.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J10180-0_5.jpg

Note how the central spindle is threaded - that's what the knob is attached to.

You might need a pair of needle nosed pliers or just use a U shaped wire nail to unscrew the silver switch collar nut.

You can get new plastic washer tubing if the rubber tube needs replacing.

I'd have thought you could do it without taking the switch out as well if you wanted. The back is quite easily accessible from under the dash and the pipes just push on to the back of the switch, or at least mine do!

another option is to go electric by fitting a micro switch in the back of the unit and running the pipes to an electric motor. That way no pressurising but you keep all the looks. I did mine in summer, you can just see the micros switch screwed into the unit :

1C8B6820-630E-4282-A85B-AF6D2DD780EA_1.jpg

jonboylaw said:
If you do convert to electric, remember to drill a small hole in the filler cap to stop a vacuum build up.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Good point. I just permanently attached a bicycle pump tube thingy so I didn't have to drill the bottle.

Latest posts