Sealing a seal??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welly

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have purchased a rear hatch seal to replace my old perished one and am struggling to get it to stay put. It is an original seal so fits really well but when I close the rear hatch it pulls the seal away in the top right corner as you look at the rear of the van. After a couple of times opening and closing the hatch, the seal ends up inside the van. Has anyone used a sealant or glue of any type to ensure the seal stays back in the reveal where it belongs?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I had a similar thing (not quite as bad) and squirted a bit of silicone lubricant on a piece of cloth and rubbed the seal with it. The reduced friction helped it stay put.

Ive used contact adhesive to fix all my seals in place - thin coating so it goes tacky in the recess the seal fits in and push the seal into the gap, close the rear hatch and leave it overnight to go off. Wont come loose then.

StuF said:
Ive used contact adhesive to fix all my seals in place - thin coating so it goes tacky in the recess the seal fits in and push the seal into the gap, close the rear hatch and leave it overnight to go off. Wont come loose then.

Awesome, worked a treat, cheers.

Latest posts