Seam Sealer...?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffsurf

Reaction score
I have just welded in a new inner sill and have to do the middle and outter afterwards. I'm not sure what seam sealer product to use along the top of inner sill where it is welded to the floor to prevent water etc getting in? I have heard of brushable seam sealer in a tin and also stuff in a tube for using in a decorators sealing gun. Also not sure whether to apply to bare metal or to first try and shove some paint in between the floor and sill?

I'm just going round in circles...

Make sure you etch prime it first, a 1k aerosol will do fine from Halfrauds and a brushable seam sealer will also be fine (as long as its automotive), use masking tape for a neat seam. ;)

i ve used both types of seam sealer and prefer brushable, found stuff in tubes was to firm, had to use fingers to get it in joints etc. I was reccommended by an oldschool body worker to put it on CLEAN BARE steel, allow to dry then paint.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/seam-sealing.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this will point you in the right direction, if anyone is ever in doubt always read the tin.
some sealants can be used bare but i have always used an etch or zinc primer under my sealant regardless. 8)

Thanks guys for you advice. Very tricky area as there seems to be lots of different opinions on whats the best way and products.

Bare metal vs Painted
Brushable vs Tubed

I actually have POR15 and was hoping to use that on the underside of the car. I have already used it for the curved area between the floor and outer sill. Would it be good to apply metal ready and then try and jam POR15 between the spot welds of the new inner sill and floor or is etch primer better?

Latest posts