seat belts / kids

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
Im aware that you can only have 3 point belts if u have a full width r n r bed. You can then have a lap belt in the middle. If i went for a 3/4 bearing in mind we have two young kids who both need 3 points can you purchase something to turn a lap belt in to a 3 point for kids ?
If so where?
How do u guys with kids get on carrying them around in your bus

Wish I could help you ... but I'm looking at doing something similar. Any ideas if a non-walk through bus ever came with a middle seat belt in the front seat? I'm thinking not since the middle seat passenger would be in the way of the shifter. I'm trying to get away from the sporty two-seater image of my panel van. It's a bus after all! ;)

i c your problem and would b interested in lfinding the answer to your issue to but i was really refuring to the rear rock n roll seat in the back. How can i carry kids with a three quarter seat

This depends on how old your kids are and what seats you have for them.
I have a 3/4 bed and the way I currently get two kids in the back is the three point belt straps in the oldest in her booster seat and for the youngest we have a britax seat which you can use with a lap belt.
Once the youngest out grows this seat its going to get a bit more difficult, but probably the wife will have to ride in the back using the lap belt and use the passenger seat for the other booster seat?
I am considering getting a full width bed though so everyone has three point belts...

mister said:
This depends on how old your kids are and what seats you have for them.
I have a 3/4 bed and the way I currently get two kids in the back is the three point belt straps in the oldest in her booster seat and for the youngest we have a britax seat which you can use with a lap belt.
Once the youngest out grows this seat its going to get a bit more difficult, but probably the wife will have to ride in the back using the lap belt and use the passenger seat for the other booster seat?
I am considering getting a full width bed though so everyone has three point belts...

I have 3 kid and a 3/4 rock roll bed/seat and do the same as above but with the oldest in the middle with a lap belt. You obviously don't need a booster with a lap belt. I reckon the most unsafe place in a camper is the front 3 point belt or not
Drive safe and slow (having bumpers at the correct height helps to :msn4: )

There are people whove fitted additional three point belts in the rear ... look through this thread - http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the main though, you'll either need a seat that uses its own harness but is fixed by a lap belt (these are only for small kids though) or use lap belts.

The other possibility is mounting a three point belt for the rear facing buddy seat behind the driver? That must be a possibility by doubling up the mount points?

Hello,

we have a 1970 LHD westy & we had the same quandary. Our eldest (7) sits in the front with John (hubby/driver) with a booster seat using a recoiling seat belt, as what was fitted as standard wouldn't reach to the seat belt clasp with car seats. Our son used to have seat stage 2 car seat that needed a 3 point seat belt & all worked well.

Our youngest (5) sits on the R&R bed facing in the direction we're driving, on the left hand side, in a stage 2 car seat, which requires a 3 point seat belt, as she is not tall enough for just a booster seat. I sit in the back with our youngest.

We looked at lots of different options when we got our bus but it come down to safety. We couldn't mount another 3 point seat belt in the back as we would have had to mount the seat belt on the wardrobe or the other non workable option was to find another mounting point underneath the R&R bed and feed the belt up behind the seat & over which wouldn't have worked as no belt would be long enough.

The buddy seat option is not an option as you're not supposed to drive with two people sitting back to back car seat or no car seat.

Not sure if i've helped you or not??

Biddy :?

Hi thanks yes that helps. It seems there is no way from what i can see that i can have a 3/4 in the back and have 2x 3 point seat belts. Bit annoying. Guess its a full width r n r then with no or very few cupboards.

Hi

Have a look at this company, as I believe they have a good reputation for fitting belts in VW vans. I have never used them myself, but there is a link on the press page showing 3 point belts fitted to back of T25 with a 3/4 r&roll bed (VW Camper & Bus link).

http://www.quickfitsbs.com/what_press_say.php

Good luck

Latest posts