Security Tracking apps

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
I'm looking at security options and read an interesting post on the late bay forum. I don't think a lot of them are worth the hundreds of pounds in annual fees since they make some dodgy claims and they will only work if professionally installed.

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/tracking-device-for-your-bus-anyone-seen-this.4690/#post-77706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So not really wanting to spend over a grand on a Tracker VHF system, I'm considering doing it cheap with a £40 smart phone and a tracking app.

I downloaded a couple but they required internet access, which isn't ideal, so can anyone recommend an app which is free/ cheap, you can monitor with a computer and doesn't require constant internet access?

hiya

ive been useing something like this from e-bay

TK103 Car Van Vehicle Caravan Fleet GPS Tracker Tracking System Device

for last 3 or so years, just buy a sim (make sure its not a top up monthly one)
fitted it, and just drop call it and it will text its location to your phone which then you can look on google maps on your smart phone.
acurate to within 20 or so feet,

not insurance accepted but for my piece of mind i know its there.

hope that helps

dodge6x6 said:
hiya

ive been useing something like this from e-bay

TK103 Car Van Vehicle Caravan Fleet GPS Tracker Tracking System Device

for last 3 or so years, just buy a sim (make sure its not a top up monthly one)
fitted it, and just drop call it and it will text its location to your phone which then you can look on google maps on your smart phone.
acurate to within 20 or so feet,

not insurance accepted but for my piece of mind i know its there.

hope that helps

That's the one I had in mind. I have an app I wrote for controling it and tracking on a map, works better than the static google map link. I need to finish the app really and actualy install the tracker into the van :lol:

some info on my app: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47299&hilit=gps+tracker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

67westy said:
What about a cheap tracker from eBay and an app on your phone?

The disadvantage to those cheap tracking devices is that they are full of wires. All a thief needs to do is follow the wire from an earth or battery and disable it.

Found this one which has a magnet and a three month battery, like they one they use to track Gus in Breaking Bad!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Covert-Back2you-GPS-Tracker-Battery/dp/B00765DH98/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1435660701&sr=8-6&keywords=gps+car+tracker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have an internal battery as well that lasts a fair while. Run the live to a fuse box and I'm sure it would go unnoticed. I'd be more concerned with the thief having a GPS jammer :)

That's why the only option is the very expensive VHF tracker and the huge annual fees. Basically you pay them £500+ to do nothing. When YOU report it stolen, they switch it on...what a scam!

5 year battery on this one.

http://www.trackerdirect.co.uk/tracker-retrieve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magoo said:
That's why the only option is the very expensive VHF tracker and the huge annual fees. Basically you pay them £500+ to do nothing. When YOU report it stolen, they switch it on...what a scam!

Not trying to be a smartarse but that's not strictly true, you can pay from £6.99 a month for a Skytag (although you have a hefty upfront cost for the unit unless you got one on discount at Volksworld)
They do a few options on subscription where you can set it up to text/mail you when it moves without you having to call them etc.
No, I have nothing to do with the company either.

Mags said:
magoo said:

Not trying to be a smartarse but that's not strictly true, you can pay from £6.99 a month for a Skytag (although you have a hefty upfront cost for the unit unless you got one on discount at Volksworld)
They do a few options on subscription where you can set it up to text/mail you when it moves without you having to call them etc.
No, I have nothing to do with the company either.

I believed the Skytag is GPS only so you don't get the VHF benefits of not being susceptible to jammin, working under cover etc.

The VHF stuff gets pretty expensive. I'm happy with my cheapo GPS tracker (when I get it fitted!) for some extra peace of mind and should the worst happen the van is inusred. Not ideal but it's kept in a locked garage 90% of the time with at least one or two other vehicled blocking it in.

Mags said:
Not trying to be a smartarse but that's not strictly true, you can pay from £6.99 a month for a Skytag...

If you read that link you'll see why the Skytag isn't that good a system. It is not an approved system so the police will not track the signal. You also have to report it stolen yourself so what are you paying for? They monitor nothing for that subscription. You would be better off with a £35 DIY tracker.

67westy said:
They have an internal battery as well that lasts a fair while. Run the live to a fuse box and I'm sure it would go unnoticed. I'd be more concerned with the thief having a GPS jammer :)

He finds the fuse box which leads to the tracker and destroys it! Having them hidden is the key assuming he doesn't block the signal. At least those long life battery trackers allow you to hide it anywhere.

magoo said:
67westy said:

He finds the fuse box which leads to the tracker and destroys it! Having them hidden is the key assuming he doesn't block the signal. At least those long life battery trackers allow you to hide it anywhere.

Would be a pretty determined thief to go through all the wiring on the fuse box to figure out which one leads to the tracker! It doesn't draw much current so you could always tap into a live feed for the interior light for example and then it would all be hidden away.

magoo said:
Mags said:
Not trying to be a smartarse but that's not strictly true, you can pay from £6.99 a month for a Skytag...

If you read that link you'll see why the Skytag isn't that good a system. It is not an approved system so the police will not track the signal. You also have to report it stolen yourself so what are you paying for? They monitor nothing for that subscription. You would be better off with a £35 DIY tracker.

Ah, didn't read the link and i see now it is all about skytag.
So whats the difference between how this gets reported to the police and tracked if it's a diy job vs skytag having a monitoring centre?

From what I gather, you need to report the theft to the police, get a crime number, ring Skytag or Tracker who then switch on the tracking device. Tracker/ Skytag ring the police and tell them the location of the stolen vehicle. This takes a few hours I guess from the moment it was stolen. And that's the point, you could just ring the police yourself assuming you know the rough location of the stolen vehicle. Do those expensive systems give you access to the tracking information?

The police have tracking systems in their cars and go to the scene if they think it is worthy of their time. The police will only respond to high value cars, tracking systems which have been accredited and professionally installed. The actual link for the last bit of information is missing, but that's what I interpret from the info given.

Why spend all that money on subscriptions? That is what insurance is for. Worth a read....

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/feb/13/gps-jammers-uk-roads-risks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magoo said:
From what I gather, you need to report the theft to the police, get a crime number, ring Skytag or Tracker who then switch on the tracking device. Tracker/ Skytag ring the police and tell them the location of the stolen vehicle. This takes a few hours I guess from the moment it was stolen. And that's the point, you could just ring the police yourself assuming you know the rough location of the stolen vehicle. Do those expensive systems give you access to the tracking information?

The police have tracking systems in their cars and go to the scene if they think it is worthy of their time. The police will only respond to high value cars, tracking systems which have been accredited and professionally installed. The actual link for the last bit of information is missing, but that's what I interpret from the info given.

Why spend all that money on subscriptions? That is what insurance is for. Worth a read....

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/feb/13/gps-jammers-uk-roads-risks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. Not heard of the GPS jammers before, that's not good at all.

I've got a Pinpointpal tracker device. I've somehow managed to break two devices over the three years I've had it, but I can't fault the company as they send me a new one.
It's got an internal battery, and there's an app to locate your van. :)

Thanks for all the input, but does anyone know of an android app which doesn't require constant phone internet access?

I don't know if you will find one that doesn't require internet access. I can't see any sensible way of making the location information available from the mobile without a data connection. The only other way is similar to how the cheap GPS trackers work which is by sending a series of text messages

Yeah you are right, downloaded the find my android app and it would only report back with the internet turned on. I like those independent battery type trackers, saves a lot of faffing trying to disconnect them when they eventually fail. I've heard the odd story where stolen vehicles have been found while the thieves left it sitting about to be recovered and to see if a tracker was installed. So they will maybe prevent the opportunist.

Latest posts