Serious Import registration problem please help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
Here's the story.
I imported my 68 in December 2010.
Finally got it through an mot and insured in November.

I went to the dvla to register it.

Now the problems start.

The dvla said that it needed a NOVA check and gave me the number for hmrc to sort it out.
Rang them and they said it doesn't need a nova check but the C&E 389 form needs a stamp.
I have no idea what stamp this is,weather I need to fill out a form for it.

To top it off the dvla still think that it needs a NOVA check.

Has anyone come across this problem and how did you get it sorted

I'm just about tearing my hair out and cursing beurocracy here.
:/

Cheers
Matt

Where did you import from?

I Had a similar thing with the Crew cab I was selling, it came in thru europe but it needed paperwork to be a viable sale. I got the birth certificate, but was told by dvla that I would need proof of VAT payed on import. I filled in the form from HMRC, most of which wasn't relavant, and they wrote back saying nothing was due. Try and get a written reply from HMRC, then go to a DVLA office and show them, tho apparently there aren't many around anymore. Hope this helps.

Had a similar problem !!the nova number is the new way the DVLA check that all the duty has been paid . The HMRC where very helpful and got me a nova number to satisfy the DVLA .

Just my experience ill apologise in advance if I'm wrong :)

similar problem on splitscreen forum http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't panic mate. It's pretty simple. This is the way I did it as advised by Taypic ;) . By all means call the number to verify but I sent a letter stating

02 July 2013

Car Team
Custom House
Furness Quay
Salford
M50 3XX

Dear Sirs,

I recently tried to register my imported vehicle with the DVLA, but due to the new nova system my C389 was not accepted due to the new rules.

I called yourselves yesterday on 0161 2615176 and you told me to send this letter along with my original C389, the vehicles certificate of title and my purchase receipt. From this info you will send me the new document to my home address by return.

My home address is PUT YOUR ADDRESS HERE

I can confirm that I already have the vehicle insured and have acquired an MOT (Test Number PUT YOUR NUMBER HERE), so this is all I need to complete my registration.

Thanks in advance

They send you your C389 back stamped. You take it to Mr. DVLA and in a few days you get your stuff.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lee

paul_q said:
similar problem on splitscreen forum http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that's a different issue, more to do with import tax than the above issues. The new NOVA system has confused even there own staff and it's down to the individuals. I was told to send the above letter and get my C389 stamped yet a mate in the Flat4Dubs club who also imported a bus previous to the Nova rules didn't need too and got his docs with the original C389. Go figure ?????

The Nova system only came in this year and as baz has mentioned there were some issues early on where they were not putting nova numbers on the letters they sent out.

This has since been resolved and they are putting nova numbers on but any vehicle that was imported earlier than this should not need a nova reference and the c386 is proof of import duty being paid, if hmrc didn't stamp it with a date stamp before they sent it out then that's the issue but all mine have always been date stamped

There should be a Sticky: any import trouble, pm Graham Lyall. He knows his shit!
:lol:

Latest posts