Shift rod queary

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamBrian

Reaction score
Hi Folks, should my rear shift rod have a bend at the end of it? Cheers....

No that makes no sense. Probably it's due to the repairs. ;)

IMG_2173kl_zpsa5c98fc3.jpg

Hmm, bit of a strange one. Phoned Volksheaven to source another but he (Wayne, I think) said some had a bend a couple of inches back and at about 20 degrees, which kind of describes mine. Not sure wether to refit, bend it or find another.

That's what I thought. Might refit it and pop the gearbox in and see if it lines back up OK....keep you posted.

Could be caused by the gearbox not supported when removing the engine....

marco said:
Could be caused by the gearbox not supported when removing the engine....

Agreed, you will easily bend it if the gearbox hangs from it, and damage the nosecone of the box too. It looks like the bend must have been inside the box section? I'm guessing it doesn't straighten easily...

This is about how much protrudes from the chassis before going into the nosecone, but there are no spacers nearby so I'd guess that a reasonable straightening job will work ok..(basically it doesn't need to be perfect as a bit of wobble can be accomodated)

some of them did have a bend, but in an up-down direction, not a left/right one. it was only slight, and I think it was on late bays. I'll have a look in the shed later, I'm sure I've got one lying about.

Latest posts