Shiplee' s 1969 California westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that guys
It's coming on ok , bit slower than I would have liked. I keep on coming across annoying little issues.when I purchased the bus I was told I needed to change the ignition barrel ( amongst a few other things ) as key had snapped off in it. I've just discovered when I went to fit the indicator stalk in the housing that the clip and part of the housing are missing.
Getting a bit pissed with the guy who sold it to me. I'm still happy with it but it's another part I've gotta locate and yet more expense!
He seemed a nice bloke but there's loads of bits n bobs like that which he didn't tell me about.
He runs a business in Milton Keynes . Gonna name and shame if I come across much more he didn't tell me about.
He was ment to send me some paint and more receipts but never did. Grrrrrr
Not very good customer service / after care considering he runs a motor business !
Gotta keep pushing with it I'm not to far off getting it mot d , I hope ?

Met up with oxy Jon tonight , he purchased some parts from me !
Always nice to find fellow minded peps who live local !

My machanic was round tonight.
Fitted new battery , battery straps ,
We got engine running ( it was laying in my drive 2 weeks ago )
Not running 100% so will put in new plugs and do a carb rebuild next session !

So today I decided to have a look at my ignition .

When I purchased my bus I was told by kerian , the previous owner that he had snapped the key off in the ignition. He had purchased a new lock , and removed the old one from the barrel.
He also supplied a new housing.

As with lots of jobs with this bus kerian didn't bother to finish the job off!
So today I fitted a new and lock in the new housing which I had resprayed !

Looks better , and finally I can now start Geri Lou up with a key rather than a screw driver lol!

I wasn't supplied half off the indicator housing but not to worry good old Ron on here is sending me the missing half as we speak !

Next job will be to try and fig out how to wire up the indicator stalk as kerian didn't label up any wires he disconnected !
If anyone local ( Norfolk , Suffolk ) can wire up an early 69 indicator then please let me know !
Your help would b much appreciated !

So while the steering wheel was removed I thought I may as well try to sort out some of the chips and cracks in it !

I found this post http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11286" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sure lots of you will remember reading it.
I thought I'd give it a go !

This should b a winter job really but whilst I'm waiting for parts to turn up in the post and more help from my mechanic I may as well give it a go !

This picture will make u laugh!
Filler overkill !
Been watching the mrs putting her makeup on in the mornings lol
No only joking my mrs is beautiful !

I ain't paying £100 - £150 for a new steering wheel when u can nicely repair an original one if u spend a bit of time and effort

Most of this was sanded by hand
I'll rebuild with more filler tomorrow to fill any small holes , sand again by hand , if I need to I've got power tools to round any corners off nicely !

I think it's gonna turn out well

I'll post more pics when finished

shiplee123 said:
This picture will make u laugh!
Filler overkill !
Been watching the mrs putting her makeup on in the mornings lol
No only joking my mrs is beautiful !

I think you need a bit more filler on that bud :lol:

:lol:

Do u think so :shock: , I'll go out right now and put some more on !

Ok got a bit excited with the filler for a moment :D
Bit of sanding down after t tonight and it's starting to look quite good !

Finally managed to get my dad to let go of his old claxton wahooga horn today. This was ment to go on my old panel van but never got round to it.

He had this horn on his old Morris split screen. Must of been 40 years ago + ?
He recons as a lad he used to pull up at zebra crossings or traffic lights and give it the big un ( wahooga ) just as people crossed the road lol!
Scared the crap out of them :lol:

Naughty naughty

Gotta try fig out where to put it and how I'm gonna wire it up ?

Latest posts