Should I go twin-carb?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get them dude, better fuel economy and more grunt if you need it, end of story :mrgreen:

In my opinion, go Dellorto or Webber (new if possible) and not the Kadron route. Little more grunt, and mpg.

How easily swayed blokes are when it comes to upgrades :lol:

So thats a yes then!

As I am unlikely (yeah right) to go for any major changes on this engine in terms of upgrades (but will build another one day) then would I be correct in saying that the 34's will be good (as opposed to 'bigger' 36's) - and all this even though I have single port? (Did I read somewhere that actually SP gives slightly better torque, or am I making that up...)

Last question - if I got the kit in the link above (recommended?) is it just a fairly straight forward install - will I need anything else? I know I have to cut off the air-filter support - but apart from that? Will 'set-up' drive me mad?!

Thanks for the replies - only forum I trust! ;)

F i - as in fuel injection

may be tricky or loads easier ona single port - really not sure the bolt on kits are DP I think....not much really - I'd go with 34's, I'm sure Laurie was trialling dome solex's or some simply modded twins that'd fit on a 1600??

Not so cheap anymore but these from alfa1750 on ebay will do a good job and be set up pretty nicely from the box ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-PORSCHE-DELLORTO-DRLA-36-CARBURETORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439d3d34bbQQitemZ290400842939QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3161wt_956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few on here that can vouch for his excellent service (myself included).

Yep - often looked at his stuff on ebay, and always gets good reviews aswell.

But are the carbs linked to only any good for TP? Is it possible to get the manifolds to fit these to a SP head?
Or do I just get TP heads? More dosh - any advantage? SP seems fine...
I think if I was upgrading the engine a bit more, I'd snap up the ones from Gaberiel...the idea of havng them already set-up is indeed very attractive...choices choices...

angus said:
Yep - often looked at his stuff on ebay, and always gets good reviews aswell.

But are the carbs linked to only any good for TP? Is it possible to get the manifolds to fit these to a SP head?
Or do I just get TP heads? More dosh - any advantage? SP seems fine...
I think if I was upgrading the engine a bit more, I'd snap up the ones from Gaberiel...the idea of havng them already set-up is indeed very attractive...choices choices...

I "thought" I had seen a single port manifold kit for DRLAs before, but cant find it here:
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:?

this seems reasonable

for new carbs too

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=T1-SP-ICTkit&CategoryID=12&PartsectionID=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there such a differece between drlas and icts? Only asking cos the Gabriel guy option seems interesting, but you then have to buy linkage, filters, pipes, etc....and dellorto. Uk seems to give u the lot for 315 sheets... Any advice? Cheers, Tony

Alfa1750!! A dude! Bought a set of DRLA 36's for £300 then carbs and manifolds and linkage etc can be picked up for £100ish. I think these carbs are the closest thing to FI you can buy and they will pay for them selves in 12months on my daily. He even set them up and balances them for you so you can bung um straight on.

young_dubya said:
Alfa1750!! A dude! Bought a set of DRLA 36's for £300 then carbs and manifolds and linkage etc can be picked up for £100ish. I think these carbs are the closest thing to FI you can buy and they will pay for them selves in 12months on my daily. He even set them up and balances them for you so you can bung um straight on.

he sets them up very roughly - similar to how you would in the dell perf book.

BUT plse do check them- my float was very slightly out..not by much but enough. Also they have to be setup to the engine so you still need to balance them yourself. He does enough for them to run straight away, but they do need extra 'dialling in' to be very good and this is really only possible imho on a rolling road - you can get close if you know what your doing but rolling road is the best way......

D

good thread, never would of thought twin carbs would give a better fuel return! i had some twin kadrons on my old fasty and they drank fuel big time! but i think someone said they would!! looks like a pretty good price £314 for everything you need, plus twin carbs look cool.

i also heard that a sp engine gives better torque, and aparantly the head are less likely to crack?

Austin said:
good thread, never would of thought twin carbs would give a better fuel return! i had some twin kadrons on my old fasty and they drank fuel big time! but i think someone said they would!! looks like a pretty good price £314 for everything you need, plus twin carbs look cool.

i also heard that a sp engine gives better torque, and aparantly the head are less likely to crack?

I have heard this story about the cracked heads too... Is it because there is lesa metal on tp heads?

Latest posts