Should I use my van as my daily?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scampi

Reaction score
What do you guys reckon?

Thinking of getting rid of my mk2 polo s as sometimes it seems pointless to have and probably don't need to run 2 cars.

Would only use it for a two way trip once a week as well about one hundred miles each way! And maybe a couple os 4/5 mile trips?

What do you boys and girls reckon?

:wink: :lol:

I would use mine as a daily but I keep it in a different place to my house :cry:

I Use it at the weekend and for holidays / shows etc, but not used totally.

If you can afford it, keep the van for a weekend and holiday thing at this time of year cos that blinking salt and road poo plays hell with your paint!
New I should have gone ratty! 8)

I maybe looking at getting a notch at some point as my daily but until then its the train for me! :shock:

I use my van As a Daily 30000 km / year without any problem, just love to have some heat in the winter :wink:

Go for it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just started using our 73 bay (sorry, I know it's not an 'early bay'... :oops: ) as my daily driver and it's great fun! I do a 30 mile round trip 4 times a week as well as other local evening and weekend stuff, and it's fine. Bit cold at the mo though, no heat exchangers.....

That said I wouldn't use our 63 split as a daily driver as much as I love it, too precious!

Aircooled VW's drive better the more they are used anyway.

However it does help if you have another car to use when the weather is really bad, or worse still the roads are covered in salt....go and buy lots of waxoyl!!

Use it Scampi its the bollox mate dump the mint ( POLO ) and drive the X-tra cool mint ( BAY ) . NEWSFLASH on a panel spoke to a guy in Europe about van and he is working on it in next few weeks to get it ready to sell and i am at front of the Q fingers crossed . 8) how is everything new going scampi job etc .

Scampi said:
Thinking of getting rid of my mk2 polo s as sometimes it seems pointless to have and probably don't need to run 2 cars.

We've got 6 cars, what's your point?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously dude, if you think the vans up to the job, and you're happy to use it daily then go for it.

I use my bay every day,suggest fitting electronic ignition for reliability. Only got her on the road in july and covered nearly 8k already :D

i took my crewcab today out of the garage. :lol:
nothing better then to drive a bus 8)

normaly i don't drive here in winter because of the salty road.but for the moment it's so warm here in switzerland that there is no risk for salt.

my normal dailydriver is a '73 bug

then, like you can read below, the only way to drive is aircooled :D

Grazy said:
Use it Scampi its the bollox mate dump the mint ( POLO ) and drive the X-tra cool mint ( BAY ) . NEWSFLASH on a panel spoke to a guy in Europe about van and he is working on it in next few weeks to get it ready to sell and i am at front of the Q fingers crossed . 8) how is everything new going scampi job etc .

It's going good man.

Back home for a fewweeks now though as my Dad is in intensive care so my Mum needs someone around for her.

Don't know if my job is safe but I can always get a new one!

Good news with the van fella. What's it like?

well not too bad yet though i have not seen it yet , i will do before i part with any cash . the seller says its pretty good for a 69 , few knocks and a bit of superfical rust but thats cool with me . he is going to service it before i get it . hopefully will be driving it to volksworld in march but i dont suppose you will be there you boys on here dont seem to dig it much , Where is Stoner Scampi is it oop north ? :) ps sorry to hear about your dad hope he is not too bad . all things considered

yes do it!! :) Have used my 72 now for 14 years and we've had adventures but he's more and more likely nowadays to go whole year without breaking down... Every 5 years or so the accelerator cable brakes or the linkage breaks under pedal.... I'm having to use the 78 at the moment as brakes suddenly started acting odd on way to work.. long story but basically breaks wierd.. removed SOLID bellypan and 'arghhhhhhh!!!' my chassis was no more.... probably hadn;t been there for a few years!!

Oh also hints as daily driver.. start earlier to work (in case it doesn;t start or frost etc), have phone numbers of other work peeps who go past you on way to work, try not to break down in front of your schoolkids buses :roll: or to get towed going past them before morning bell goes :roll: :roll: NOT that you need any of these because your bus WILL start each time :) Mine has been very very good fairplay.. probably had 3 problems on way to work in last 8 years in middle of bends etc of Llanberis/ Snwodon he's been doing well!!

Best rule is to have an other bus 'just in case'....... oh - RAC recovery :)

so Scampi have you decided whether to use your bus as your daily or are you gonna stick with the Poo lo . :lol: :wink: ps hope everything is ok with your family mate Peace

Good luck on the MOT chap! mines going in at the end of the month, fingers crossed time! should all be okay though 8)

Me too, been busy with fitting new stuff on the van, after this month of new bits gonna sit back and enjoy the blinking thing, loads of sneaky weekends away and cruises!

Got loads of stuff to sort after our first club meet on Sunday, so will be busy with that. Shows, Tshirts, Cruises ....blinking tons of things!

8) 8)

Meet was great, we had about 20 dubs turn up. Had a mini cruise to a pub and then we had a raffle and bored each other sensless about VWs!

All good though as we are now all geared up for have a great year in the club. Gonna be a great time me thinks :D

Latest posts