Should my headlights flash without the switch on?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark6455

Reaction score
As above after £600 quids worth of chassis welding I took my bus for its mot yesterday she passed with a couple of advisories one being the headlights don't flash without the switch being on should they?

Thanks guys

Mark

Mine doesn't mate - think its normal for older vehicles.
Result on the mot. Glad your bus is back rolling

That's what I thought thanks stu.
Yep all mot'd and now going back to paint shop for the new sills to be painted
More bloody money :shock:

AFAIK there is no requirement for headlamps to 'flash' when the headlamps are switched off. There's no mention of the headlamps (or headlights) flashing in the MOT testing manual here;

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It only says that with the headlamps switched on, the headlamps must switch between the main beam and dipped beam immediately.
So flashing the headlamps with the switch turned off is not part of the test.

It's in the 2.51MB download at number 3 for cars, Section 1.7.

Mark6455 said:
Mmm so I must have a wiring issue any ideas???

There are two types of relay, one has a permanent t live feed (can't recall pin number off the top of my head) and flashes without the lights being on. The other doesn't have the live feed and won't flash. Easy to swap and add the feed if you want to flash the lights.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mine do now but I didn't even know that they were supposed to until I had a dodgy alternator fixed and the van totally rewired after it blew a battery(!).

67westy said:
Mark6455 said:
Mmm so I must have a wiring issue any ideas???

There are to types of relay, one has a permanent t live feed (can't recall pin number off the top of my head) and flashes without the lights being on. The other doesn't have the live feed and won't flash. Easy to swap and add the feed if you want to flash the lights.

Cool how do I do that?

Mine don't flash, and aren't meant to. It's a 1970 with original wiring, and MOT man said he didn't expect them to,and it's not a legal requirement on a 1970 vehicle....apparently.

My 1970 bus does (or did lol need to fix it still)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Headlamp-Relay-12-v-Flash-Dip-5-Terminals-111941583AC_act_shop.product_pID_59778.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the relay you want, you might find it cheaper elsewhere. Swap your old one out and run a new live feed from the fusebox to terminal 30 on the relay

Fuse 9 would look like a good candidate on a 71/72

Mines a 1970 LHD import. Apparently they don't flash without the headlights on. I got a new relay with an extra pin for a permanent live. Its an easy fix. It never failed for not having one before though. My guess is your MOT centre have got it wrong.

mine don't and an auto lecky looked at it, unless we do a bit of wiring it wont ? so ive left it, my mates does though ! (ive had 3 mot's with it)

I understand here in the states that they were not supposed to flash. One of my 71s flashes and one doesnt. So if you have a LHD it may or may not flash. In 71 i bought a new westy and they did not flash. Flashing is a way to say hi to other drivers of vw.

There is a very lengthy thread on here just a few weeks ago on this topic, but i can't seem to find it. Some of you may be more successful them me!! Peter g

Latest posts