Simple Westy Floor Ply Cutting Guide

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DorothyMantooth

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have two sheets of 8 x 4 ply for my LHD Westy floor - 9mm and 6mm.

I'm a total noob when it comes to cutting but hoping someone has a simple cutting guide \ dimensions for this?

Everything I've found so far has been a tad confusing. I'm aware the 9mm bit fills the bottom with 6mm on top. I also know there will be a join under the bed but happy with that.

Cheers

Cheers Bigbear,

Just to get my bearings - is the rectangle cut out from the corner ( 390 x 550mm) for the Buddy seat? I'm going buddy - less so mightent need to cut you see.

I also have a 1970 LHD Westy so hopefully this should do the job.

All measurements were taken from the sliding door, mines a LHD. These measurements were all taken from my old original flooring. Good luck mate.

Hi fellas

Just wondering would you be using any insulation under the ply or would it make the floor to high? Also have a 1970 lhd westy and about to do my floor!
Thanks darren

Hi fellas

Just wondering would you be using any insulation under the ply or would it make the floor to high? Also have a 1970 lhd westy and about to do my floor!
Thanks darren

Dub d said:
Hi fellas

Thanks darren
Dub d,

I still need to buy a 6mm sheet however I bought a single sheet of 9mm ply and foil backed thermal stuff from b and q today. My logic was that the underlay, which is 4mm, may more or less fill the inner gap (where the 6mm ply would normally go) however there is a bit of a dip with just the 9mm and underlay so I will get the 6mm ply tomorrow.

Anyway, The 9mm ply was £18 and came in 8 x 4ft sheet. I got b and q to cut it to two pieces, so it was 5 x 4ft and 3 x 4ft.

The 5 x 4ft piece fits nicely with a join just in front of the seat. I will then cut the 3 x 4ft piece in 2 and put these pieces under the seat.

The underlay/ foil is 4mm and closed cell. The single roll will cover an area of 4.5m2 so should be plenty. The brand was called thermall and it was £13.

I'm not too concerned about making the floor too high. The foil compresses and I'd prefer it a bit snug anyway.

I plan on finishing it off with a cheap rug from IKEA which conveniently fits near enough perfectly.

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for that mate that's a great reply really helpfull thank you and good luck with yours!
All the best
Darren :D

Latest posts