Slammed/narrowed 1968 devon tin-top (frank)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks well cool 8)
Keep us posted on the next steps please :wink:

yeah i agree...

with the bus being off the road till the spring i've been a little slack recently... the beam is built up in my garage and poor frank is still on axle stands on the drive. :(

Got the beam on :)

Its not fun job on your own, even when you've done it before :| ... so to help i stripped the beam again to make life a little easier.

151120081063.jpg

151120081064.jpg

Built it back up.

151120081067.jpg

This pick shows what drop coilovers with dropped spindles are going to give. Picture taken with the coilovers at their highest setting :shock: and also with no weight on the springs. :shock: :shock:

151120081070.jpg

AWesome, good to actually see how the suspension works and goes on 8)

You have the same axle stands as me, just BTW.. ehhe.

Please sir, may I have more?

i think your front bar has been on and off more times than a hooker knickers :lol:

would you like to come round and fix mine :)

that looks class as usual, its also nice to be the first :wink:

cheers fellas.... i just wish i could finish and test it out..... i nearly got there but ran out of light and then ran out of weekend. Working with suspension brakes etc you need good light and deffo need to take your time. I hate these early nights.
Hopefully test it out next weekend, but i'm hunting for a new project this sat so might not get the time.

Hey Ant,

Can you only use three of the four beam to chassis bolts each side then? I thought the shock looked close to the one with the coil over sping.

When I narrowed my beam I had to source splitty shocks as they were thinner and just missed the head of the bolt. I use the original spring plates in the beam.

This is my beam before the wagenwest drop spindles and shocks were fitted.

Note custom made track rods out of Stainless made my my mate Pete.

015.jpg

Beam looks wicked seff :)

To get the beam as narrow as poss utilizing coilovers one bolt head would foul the spring. Like i mentioned earlier in the thread this is the narrowest you can go with coilovers.

There are three standard bolts per side and one fabbed headless bolt.

Cheers Ant,

With the lowered beam fitted I can still get the bus in the garage with my new roof rack!

Rack2.jpg

Nice work on them arms!! get some made up and make a few quid :wink:

Great thread dude, very informative too.

I just bought a 68 that has already been lowered, adjusters only though and not narrowed, although i am thinking of doing it.

newbay1.jpg

Jay

cunning plan said:
AWesome, good to actually see how the suspension works and goes on 8)

You have the same axle stands as me, just BTW.. ehhe.

Please sir, may I have more?

More more more!!!!!!

Hey Ant, lovin this thread... If i'd had this sort of info before I did mine it woulda saved me loads of hassle!!

I'm running a 4" narrowed beam and Wagens West dropped spindles. The trouble i'm having now is finding a suitable shock. The said beam mounting bolt if fitted, makes it pretty much impossible to fit a shock... At the moment the ones fitted are at a very dodgy angle.

Also, does anyone else with a super low bus have trouble with the beam end plates bottoming out over big bumps??

Frank(amongst offers) has been featured in David Eccles new book entitled " Vw Camper - Inspirational Interiors"
Some really nice buses in there too.

271120081101.jpg

271120081104.jpg

271120081103.jpg

:)

retrokid said:
Hey Ant, lovin this thread... If i'd had this sort of info before I did mine it woulda saved me loads of hassle!!

I'm running a 4" narrowed beam and Wagens West dropped spindles. The trouble i'm having now is finding a suitable shock. The said beam mounting bolt if fitted, makes it pretty much impossible to fit a shock... At the moment the ones fitted are at a very dodgy angle.

Also, does anyone else with a super low bus have trouble with the beam end plates bottoming out over big bumps??

Been thinking about this today(sadly :))..... any chance of some pics? sounds a little odd. What shocks do WW use?

ant

It's a home brewed 4" narrowed beam using Bus Station end plates. The ride is good, but maybe I have too much travel. At the moment i'm using 'modified' Spax adjustables on their firmest setting, but to be honest, they're not firm at all... Anyone else use these shocks? I'm convinced these ones are not performing as they should!!
I think if I trim the lower edge of the end plates about an inch, it should stop them bottoming out... With the van stood still, the lower edge of the end plate is about 3" off the ground!!
What shocks are other people using? I had KYB GR2's on my old pickup, they weren't too bad, but still not that firm. If I thought they'd fit, i'd have considered the RED9 coilovers too, but they defo won't, mmm...