Slamwerks 71 Deluxe...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painted a tub last night, then promptly ran out of paint :roll:

Photo083.jpg

Hi Ted,

I think the bus looks amazing :D

When picking my bus up yesterday, I thought maybe you were keeping the stance as this with the size of those tubs and fitting some monster wheels :lol:

IMG_0143.jpg

Amazing van and great bunch of guys :D

Matt Maz said:
Hi Ted,

I think the bus looks amazing :D

When picking my bus up yesterday, I thought maybe you were keeping the stance as this with the size of those tubs and fitting some monster wheels :lol:

IMG_0143.jpg

Amazing van and great bunch of guys :D

Haha, i know they are a bit overkill, but i was adamant i was only going to do them once and the space isn't needed for anything else like in the front when you have to consider the seats, so i just went big,
i'm already hatching a plan for some Gasburners and 195's or 205's in the rear so that should fill a bit of the room up. :D

nice work man, I'm also in the process of linkpining a '71, are you going to run power assisted drums, or put an earlier master cylinder in? also got any more pics of the finished notches, and torsion narrowing?

HOODWINK said:
nice work man, I'm also in the process of linkpining a '71, are you going to run power assisted drums, or put an earlier master cylinder in? also got any more pics of the finished notches, and torsion narrowing?

I went with an earlier master cylinder and i swapped all the narrow five stuff out to wide five for a better choice of wheels, but we have also done beams with the servo bracket for buses still running the servo.

Ted said:
HOODWINK said:

I went with an earlier master cylinder and i swapped all the narrow five stuff out to wide five for a better choice of wheels, but we have also done beams with the servo bracket for buses still running the servo.

was there much work in fitting the early mc, do the linkages line up? I pinched the whole W5 set up of a wreck on the weekend. so I can do either, any reason you chose the full swap?

HOODWINK said:
Ted said:
HOODWINK said:

was there much work in fitting the early mc, do the linkages line up? I pinched the whole W5 set up of a wreck on the weekend. so I can do either, any reason you chose the full swap?

I don't have it all fitted up yet, but i can't see there being too many problems, just need to get a earlier master cylinder pushrod. everything looks to line up fine.
i went with the full swap because i'm cheap and didn't want to replace the knackered servo that was on my bus and i went wide five as most of the wheels available in narrow five have poor offsets, i am looking at converting it to Porsche discs over the winter, providing i get it on the road for some part of summer :lol: :lol: :lol:

love the work on this bus - love this bus full stop!!!

Ted, you remember the grey dormobile i got from you a couple of years back.... actually, i'll PM ya ;)

Right then, been far too long since the last update and not much work done either :roll: , for those that don't know i have a day job at the Toyota factory just outside of Derby and recently i have been put back on the production line, which means working shifts and also overtime (good for the pocket, but not so good for spare time).
but this weekend i managed to get a few hours in on the bus,
got the tubs painted up a few weeks ago and yesterday i cleaned and refitted the fuel tank and refitted the fire wall, then today i put the gearbox in,
it's a type 3 irs box with a splitty nosecone and hockey stick, so should get more ground clearance and better cruising speeds, win win :D
i will try and get the engine in tomorrow before i go to work, and hopefully this week i will get a release date for redundancy from Toyota, then it's full time at Slamwerks, in the new improved bigger premises :D :D :D yay
anyway a couple of pics

Photo095.jpg

Photo094.jpg

Photo093.jpg

excuse the poor quality pics, they are from my phone

Ted said:
Right then, did a little work on the bus last week,
started by Building a nice and narrow K+L beam and flipping a set of spindles,
got them all painted up thurs night, fri morning

DSC03444.jpg

then friday afternoon we rolled the monster bus onto the ramp and stripped all the running gear off, looks a lot better when you get it closer to the floor

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03446.jpg

got the new beam and spindles on

DSC03447.jpg

and then started getting the back end ready for some serious notching and a bit of narrowing for good measure!

DSC03450.jpg

that's all the pics i managed to take, i think Guy has some more, i will try and get them off him
Sunday evening it rolled back off the ramp a lot lower and narrower than when it went in :D , again i haven't got any pics as it was dark and it keeps getting dark before i can get from work to Slamwerks to take some :roll:

Hey Ted, your bus is looking S*+"T HOT! Excellent work, if i was Guy i'd be well chuffed having someone like you in my employment.
Can i ask, is the rear narrowing of the torsion tube just for asthetics or does this allow you to go really low and still have the option of removing your rear wheels?

junglefacejake said:
Hey Ted, your bus is looking S*+"T HOT! Excellent work, if i was Guy i'd be well chuffed having someone like you in my employment.
Can i ask, is the rear narrowing of the torsion tube just for asthetics or does this allow you to go really low and still have the option of removing your rear wheels?
it's pretty much to remove the heavy camber you see on really low bays, so it should improve handling and tyre wear plus i think it looks pretty good too, makes the bus look low without looking like it's squatting or being squashed, it won't make much difference to removing the rear wheel, for that i will fit a set of Slamwerks adjustable springplates :D
i have worked with Guy for a couple of years, but always alongside my day job, so will be good to work with him all the time.

Ted said:
junglefacejake said:
it's pretty much to remove the heavy camber you see on really low bays, so it should improve handling and tyre wear plus i think it looks pretty good too, makes the bus look low without looking like it's squatting or being squashed, it won't make much difference to removing the rear wheel, for that i will fit a set of Slamwerks adjustable springplates :D
i have worked with Guy for a couple of years, but always alongside my day job, so will be good to work with him all the time.

I can't believe you have removed the whole back end of the chassis, extreme!
Trying to work out how this removes the heavy camber? do you have to shorten the drive shafts as well then?

Couldn't help but notice how you automaticly slipped into sales mode on the Slamwerks adjustable springplates :D
I have recently purchased and fitted a set of the very same, As big Tony would say "the're grrrrrreat!"
:lol:

junglefacejake said:
Trying to work out how this removes the heavy camber? do you have to shorten the drive shafts as well then?

Couldn't help but notice how you automaticly slipped into sales mode on the Slamwerks adjustable springplates :D
I have recently purchased and fitted a set of the very same, As big Tony would say "the're grrrrrreat!"
when we moved the brackets for the A arms, we reset the angle thus adjusting the angle of camber :D

Ted said:
junglefacejake said:

when we moved the brackets for the A arms, we reset the angle thus adjusting the angle of camber :D

I had a good look underneath my van yesterday and it is now starting to make sense :D

Latest posts