Sliding door adjustment

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mig_man

Reaction score
Hi

I'm having trouble with my sliding door.

No matter what I try I can't get the rear edge to fit nicely. It's in at the top and out at the bottom. If I manually push it in at the bottom it lines up beautifully. What adjustments can I make to achieve this? Nothing I've tried makes any real difference. The front edge fits quite well.

Maybe the door is twisted?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers
Tim

sliding door adjustment is a dark art in my opinion :? :?

My sliding door closes nicely but if I lift the handle to lock in the rear of the door I cant open it without lots of pulling and shoving. It should "pop" open at the rear but doesn't.... Any ideas????

I'm actually trying to repair it now.
The bottom had been treated to masses of filler and was standing at least 15mm proud at the bottom! I've cut the lower part of the skin off and also the inner flange up to 15mm below where it steps in. After playing with adjustments for hours and hours I've managed to get it to shut and fit quite well apart from at the back. It's now about 6-8mm proud at the bottom after the handle's been raised to pull it in and lock it. Obviously I want to get it right before repairing the frame.

For now I've cut a short length of thick fuel hose, split it down the length and fitted it around pillar edge in front of where the seal goes. When I shut the door, the rubber holds it out at the top and the bottom is now flush with the wheelarch panel. If I can't improve the fit for now I'll leave that in place so that I can get on with repairing the frame

I recently had to give mine an overhaul as the fitment was pretty bad, and the lifting handle mechanism to pull the rear in wasn't working so there was a constant gap at the back.

I found a good starting point is to remove the door card and strip and clean all the mechanisms so that they're nice and easy to operate. Then I took the seal out from around the door to ensure that this wasn't causing any obstructions when making other tweaks. Then it was all down to trial and error of moving one part at a time and seeing what effect that had, and then tweaking and moving onto the next. Took me hours, but got a good result in the end where everything works smoothly and lines up.

It's useful with some of the brackets to slacken them slightly so that they don't drop, but then close the door and push them into the correct position, then carefully open and tighten them at the point they came to rest. Not sure if that makes sense?!

Latest posts