Sliding door problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mig_man

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Got a bit of a problem on my '72 twin slider I'm restoring.

Am investigating the sliding doors which don't really slide smoothly, sometimes jump off the runners and don't close neatly. So far I've found several bits that are missing (including a cam for one of the centre hinges (ITEM 18 on the diagram below) and the top roller for one of the front lower guides).

Luckily the cam is available from VW Heritage. I've swopped the one from the other side but am now having problems with the arm not swinging in/out correctly. It looks like the whole guide unit is too high and the hooked lever isn't being released from the cam so the arm won't swing in/out.
Once I get the 2nd cam I'll be able to compare the two together.

In the meantime though can people confirm which way round the levers are meant to face as mine are both different!

The diagram below clearly shows the top lever 21 facing inwards towards the nylon guide

My right-hand (offside) door has them this way round but on the left-hand (nearside) door they are round the other way with the top lever facing outwards! I have a spare guide which has the levers facing the same as the offside door but these levers are much more 'chunky'.

I've grabbed this photo from another topic on the forum and it clearly shows the levers facing the opposite way to the VW diagram!

on the other hand this one shows it the 'correct' way

ANY IDEA WHAT IS RIGHT??????????????

I dont know if this is any use ??

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SlidingDoor.html#adjust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)

Having spent another 4 hours on it last light cleaning up and lubricating the mechanisms, I've now come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter which direction the levers face as long as one faces in and one out as they both operated by the same parts of the unit.

The left-hand door slides and closes beautifully now although it sits quite a bit proud at the back from the slider down. Not sure if this can be adjusted out or if it's caused by the corrosion of the frame and skin at the bottom. More investigation needed before I start welding!

The right-hand one isn't bad but the lack of a top roller on the lower bracket doesn't help, with the door free to move in and out! Tried taking the bracket off to inspect it and maybe trial fit the roller from the other side but the side screw is seized solid and the brackets broken so the bottom half fell off once the 2 screws were removed.

I wasn't able to trial fit the other roller as the pins on the broken bracket are 9mm instead of 7mm as on the other side (it was also approachinbg midnight by then!). Maybe it's a later 76> one for which top rollers are listed? Interestingly there's no circlip groove on the pin for retaining the roller so not sure how it's meant to be retained. The other rollers (ball races) were tight on the pins anyway so wouldn't come off anyway but that won't work with the now nylon rollers. Beging mounted verticallhy it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Hopefully off to VW Heritage later to get a new cam and roller but really I need to try and find a secondhand bracket to replace my broken one. Anyone got one going spare for a LHD van?

Latest posts