Sliding door rubs on rear wheel arch

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinR

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1971 T2 Dormobile
The sliding door on our RHD 1971 bay rubs on the rear wheel arch. I thought it was due to the door card having too much scrim foam in it, so today I replaced it with a slimmer version but after a lot of effort it still rubs. The door fit is good but it just doesn’t pop out far enough to clear the arch. Is there any adjustments that could give it a bit more clearance?

The U hinge should push the rear of the door out enough to clear the arch. Make sure the mechanism is operating correctly, and check for any wear on the hinge.
You can get replacement bushes for the U hinge fairly easily.

The U hinge seems to rotate to 90° from the body and there does not appear to be much play in the door or hinge?

I will get her out and take some photos tomorrow and put them up. One thing that interest me is should the slider run parallel with the body when opened? Mine doesn’t it is much closer at the front end of the door as you will see tomorrow. I have adjusted the top and bottom roller out and it I better but still catches the arch and I don’t like the gap at the front when closed! Thanks……

Has the rear arch been repaired? I've seen them replaced, and the alignment can be different from standard - could be the issue?

Some pics may help.
Sorry for the delay, I have removed the door and have cleaned and lubricated the centre hinge , replaced the nylon runner block and the rubber stops. All is clean and free of play and smooth operating. Here are the pictures tonight. I am coming the conclusion that the arch has been made too proud when it was restored ( before our ownership) would love to be proved wrong!

Attachments

• IMG_8026.jpeg
    IMG_8026.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8027.jpeg
    IMG_8027.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8028.jpeg
    IMG_8028.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8032.jpeg
    IMG_8032.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8034.jpeg
    IMG_8034.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8037.jpeg
    IMG_8037.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8035.jpeg
    IMG_8035.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8038.jpeg
    IMG_8038.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8039.jpeg
    IMG_8039.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8040.jpeg
    IMG_8040.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8030.mov
    27.8 MB
Yes, I'm pretty sure the rear arch looks pretty wide. Everything else looks good. Hard to know the root cause, could be a pattern panel that not a best fit or just alignment problems. In the bad old days people would weld replacement panels over the top of the rusted out panel but lets hope that's not the case.

There was trick that T25 owners used when fitting wider wheels and tyres that caused sliding door clearance issues - get another sliding door u-bracket and weld two together to make a slightly longer u-bracket. Could be easier than extensive bodywork?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the rear arch looks pretty wide. Everything else looks good. Hard to know the root cause, could be a pattern panel that not a best fit or just alignment problems. In the bad old days people would weld replacement panels over the top of the rusted out panel but lets hope that's not the case.

There was trick that T25 owners used when fitting wider wheels and tyres that caused sliding door clearance issues - get another sliding door u-bracket and weld two together to make a slightly longer u-bracket. Could be easier than extensive bodywork?
Hello Clem,

Your suggestion sounds like a great idea! Funnily enough when I originally posted this thread I wondered whether the u-brackets were available in different lengths for different years / arch shapes with earlier bays having far slimmer arches than '71 onwards? I have looked on all the regular supplier websites to buy two U - brackets (to preserve my original one for back up) to carry out your suggestion, but all they only list ones for 1975 to 1979, do you know the difference? Maybe the mechanisms and or the latches are different / different angles? Does anyone know where I can get ones for a 1971?

Hello Clem,

Your suggestion sounds like a great idea! Funnily enough when I originally posted this thread I wondered whether the u-brackets were available in different lengths for different years / arch shapes with earlier bays having far slimmer arches than '71 onwards? I have looked on all the regular supplier websites to buy two U - brackets (to preserve my original one for back up) to carry out your suggestion, but all they only list ones for 1975 to 1979, do you know the difference? Maybe the mechanisms and or the latches are different / different angles? Does anyone know where I can get ones for a 1971?
I've never been aware of a difference but you never know!

Will a modified lengthened U-bracket not place the slider part (casting containing the roller & nylon block) further back along its travel when the door is shut. So those two latches on it that are triggered by the U-bracket pivoting will be parked further away from the catch block they currently have some contact with?
I don't know if this would cause an issue.

The VW parts book only lists 2 part numbers for the U hinge, LHD and RHD.
As far as I'm aware they fit all years, 68-79.
I want to buy just two u hinges not the whole bracket to fit to my original centre slider bracket, Schofields (the only ones you can telephone now) are telling me the U shaped bitty have will only fit '75 and on centre slider brackets but I am not convinced.
Do you have a part number please for the U bit which I believe are universal LHD /RHD - 1971 ????

Thank you very much so looks like there is an 'A" and a 'B' version with the former fitting all years. Odd thing is the 'A'version looks exactly like the ones on Heritage and Just Kampers which they describe as '75 - '79??

Back to the idea of purchasing two U bracket pieces and cut and welding the two to end up with one longer one to give me more arch clearance, I need about 15mm extra

But if I do that -

IMG_8074.JPGIMG_8075.JPG

I know I am becoming a sliding door 'bore' sorry! It is my wife's bus and I have been tasked with getting the door to open properly !

Latest posts