Winter work thread

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creationblue

Reaction score
So its been a fantastic summer out in the bus, hope you guys have enjoyed your van's as much as I have and covered some trouble free miles!

Thought I'd start a thread documenting winter jobs that need attention on my bus and you can add yours too. Maybe we will get some inspiration to crack on together!

I need to address a bubble under the paint on the windscreen, I've noticed some rust marks under my Jalousie side windows too although this isn't really getting worse and I really like my bus to wear its scars with pride rather than have it with perfect paint, so want to avoid a complete panel paint!?

The main thing that annoys me is how the water runs into the cab floor via both cab doors! Not always, depends on the wind direction and how it is parked! In fact its been leak free this last few months. I addressed this a few years ago with vapour membranes but I am going to have to do it again! Also I noticed that already the off-side cab door is bubbling through on the undersection that sits over the wheel tub, not visible on the outside but eating through nonetheless!

Another thing is my rear tailgate, it pulls in to far on the near side and I would like to adjust it except for the fact the cap-head bolts holding the door to the hinges just wont budge!

My slider lock was the best lock on the van but just lately the key won't always turn and the catch on the inside either isn't working correctly or I am unaware of its proper use, need to sort this for security obvs.

I managed to get hold of Red9 Design this week and have ordered the parts needed to take the slop out of the steering, the CSP rear drums/late bay stub axles & replacement leaky cylinders and perished rubber CV boots have been ordered and will be fitted in the coming weeks.

There are probably a few more things that I have forgot, like changing the Westy fridge to the Waeco one, but I am still in two-minds as to whether this is worthwhile...

Edit #1 Installing heat to the cab via the Corvair motor, I’ve had a plan to do this for a while with a direction of how to do it. It’s very similar to the VW method so shouldn’t be to difficult

Last edited:
I’m looking at the north coast 500 next year so I’m going to:
drop the engine and change the oil cooler and fit my tinwear properly.
Ive got the van booked in for a blister on the drivers door and a rusty wheel arch.
I’m going to fit my new madmatz front cab mats and kick panels
Renew my rear brakes

Hopefully moving back home for Christmas having done some building work. Best bit is I'll have a double garage with a pit in it :)
Then the jobs list can get attacked again!
That sounds great. I wouldn’t move house for the world , it’s only little but I have a fab garage. That’s the one thing is I’ve got an exceptionally high water table so it makes a pit next to impossible but I would love one or a hoist but my roof is too low.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,not jealous one little bit,,,,,,much :)

Not used my bus nearly enough this year and not slept in it once :(
However , a bit of work planned for the winter … I just broke an engine lid hinge so that needs sorting and I plan to address some rust along the lower edge of the engine lid. I’ve finally found a good paint match so am happy to tidy it up.
Otherwise, some general servicing and tinkering to hopefully look to get a better season next summer. :)

That sounds great. I wouldn’t move house for the world , it’s only little but I have a fab garage. That’s the one thing is I’ve got an exceptionally high water table so it makes a pit next to impossible but I would love one or a hoist but my roof is too low.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,not jealous one little bit,,,,,,much :)
As long as you can dig the hole mate then all good. They make the pit totally watertight like a bathtub, with steps and jacking plates cast into it. Then you back fill the hole with concrete 👌

As long as you can dig the hole mate then all good. They make the pit totally watertight like a bathtub, with steps and jacking plates cast into it. Then you back fill the hole with concrete 👌
I’m sure I’ve seen these, they do various versions that look like fish ponds liners in fibreglass. But I’m kicking 70 soon and I’d hate to upset the damp course under my garage. What’s the chances of it not being a tad brittle after being down for fifty plus years. I’ll wimp out I think.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, would be nice though. :)

Latest posts