Smith's RVI rev counter wiring

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone has fitted one of these... Does anyone know how to connect this rev counter?

The terminals at the bottom are labeled "0v", "+" and "12V"

89847479d3a3d3f0f7b9342f43e66fe5.jpg
07235076df5388745d5c724987506f94.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would imagine that 0v is earth, + will be the connection to the coil and 12v is what it says...

That's what I thought initially, but I looked on line and got confused as a lot of the diagrams have the other pin at the top connected to the coil and the "+" connected to earth.

In fact on closer inspection it says 6V not 0V that explains why some of the images I've seen have this blanked off with a plastic cap.

I've found it! Looks like I need to form some sort of wire loop around the top pin...

49ee4db626e45725369ce372bfdbd94e.jpg

[EDIT] After a bit more research I have concluded that this tacho is not suitable for the van as it requires the coil to distributor wire to be looped round the sensor at the top using a clamp - not supplied. I don't really want to take a wire from the coil, up to the dash then all the way back down to the distributor. Only paid £20 for it so I'll probably just stick it back on ebay.

Latest posts