So how much may a 2nd hand twin carb set up cost??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aogrady

Reaction score
Hi!

Well, if i save my pennys, what is the likely cost for a set of 2nd hand set of carbs like kadrons or something? Looking for a little more poke, maybe fuel mpg? Got a stock 1600TP. Running stock vac dizzy, though i have a 009 lurking if need be.

I know new stuff is quite dear, hence, looking at 2nd hand. Figuring some folk may be upgrading to bigger carbs on a tuned motor.......

Any suggestions as to how much i need to save? :) And what to look for, and what to avoid?
Aside from this I will just have to replace my holed inlet manifold and stock PICT3 with flat spot - have been taking to someone re a stock set-up, just not got coin at the mo :roll:

Alistair

Avoid Kadrons, they can be nasty. The old ones are OK, but the new stuff is horrible.

Weber 34 ICT's are probably the better option although they can wear out in only a few years.

36 IDF is the bullet proof approach & a whole setup can be bought for £200 - £300.

aogrady said:
Hi!

Well, if i save my pennys, what is the likely cost for a set of 2nd hand set of carbs like kadrons or something? Looking for a little more poke, maybe fuel mpg? Got a stock 1600TP. Running stock vac dizzy, though i have a 009 lurking if need be.

I know new stuff is quite dear, hence, looking at 2nd hand. Figuring some folk may be upgrading to bigger carbs on a tuned motor.......

Any suggestions as to how much i need to save? :) And what to look for, and what to avoid?
Aside from this I will just have to replace my holed inlet manifold and stock PICT3 with flat spot - have been taking to someone re a stock set-up, just not got coin at the mo :roll:

Alistair

Leave your stock dizzy on , dont add the 009, you'll have horrible flat spots on acceleration. Take the points out and fit electonic

My Weber 34ICTs were £350 new IIRC and came with the better linkage from Eurocarb (http://www.dellorto.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) :? With current exchange rate CB are selling at £300 but then you have shipping etc...

But all the above is pointless cos they're new not second hand. Don't think FRD's are still made AFAIK but try KerbSideAutos http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?u=2809 on VZI he sells reconditioned dells as he gets them in, and there is someone on ebay who sells them but can't remember his name, something to do with Alfa I think...?

pete nice said:
Avoid Kadrons, they can be nasty. The old ones are OK, but the new stuff is horrible.

Weber 34 ICT's are probably the better option although they can wear out in only a few years.

36 IDF is the bullet proof approach & a whole setup can be bought for £200 - £300.

Hi!

Why are Kadrons so bad? :?:

Why do the 34 ICT's wear out after a few years? I though Weber stuff was good - or are these just a cheap replacement? :|

36IDF sounds ok,l i guess will have to keep my eyes peeled and see what i can see........I did see though CB Performance had some ICT's for $400, and the IDF (40?) are $750!!
A set of 2nd hand ICT's may be cheap - but possibly not much cheaper in the UK that new ones form the US? :?:

Alistair

[/quote]

Leave your stock dizzy on , dont add the 009, you'll have horrible flat spots on acceleration. Take the points out and fit electonic[/quote]

When i bought the van, it had a worn carb and a 009, so you can imagine the fun i had.......... :roll:

Alistair

Or go for German Quality and take an old shool Riechert SOLEX 34PCI set.
You can buy these sets new and gas tested!
Every single part is still available and tested for more than 45 years now, volkwagen itself considered to put these on their new cars at the beginning of the oil crisis in 1974 because you get much better mpg and even get 9 more horses in your back (on a stock 1600 dp).
I did 15 km on 1 liter in my old beetle with very good torque.
51268.jpg

Forget the CHINA empi crap and don't put a 009 dizzy on it :evil:

Benyon said:
My Weber 34ICTs were £350 new IIRC and came with the better linkage from Eurocarb (http://www.dellorto.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) :? With current exchange rate CB are selling at £300 but then you have shipping etc...

But all the above is pointless cos they're new not second hand. Don't think FRD's are still made AFAIK but try KerbSideAutos http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?u=2809 on VZI he sells reconditioned dells as he gets them in, and there is someone on ebay who sells them but can't remember his name, something to do with Alfa I think...?

Hi!

Yeah, i see what you mean, did your carbs come with air filters and everything? Guess if anyone had anything for 180-200 is for 2nd hand??

How do you get on with them? Power, MPG, hot and cold start etc??

Thanks for the info m8!

Alistair

..................set of rebuilt Kadrons for £200 on vzi
http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=518006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I paid £150 for my set, super

Dirty Harry said:
Or go for German Quality and take an old shool Riechert SOLEX 34PCI set.
You can buy these sets new and gas tested!
Every single part is still available and tested for more than 45 years now, volkwagen itself considered to put these on their new cars at the beginning of the oil crisis in 1974 because you get much better mpg and even get 9 more horses in your back (on a stock 1600 dp).
I did 15 km on 1 liter in my old beetle with very good torque.
<SNIP>
Forget the CHINA empi crap and don't put a 009 dizzy on it :evil:

Oh, that's looks loverly!! Kinda like the Okrasa air filters? What's the going rate, price wise for a set up like this if you dont mind me asking?
Any more power is a bonus, and mpg too? Result!

Alistair

mjknight71 said:
http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=518006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh! Right! Shame i need to start to save right now, but that sounds ok, and yours for 150 sounds even better!

Alistair

aogrady said:
mjknight71 said:

Oh! Right! Shame i need to start to save right now, but that sounds ok, and yours for 150 sounds even better!

Alistair

mine weren't rebuilt ones but they bolted on and worked just fine...the only thing I know is to get the solex ones, as with the standard carbs the pattern ones are crap apparently.....

I now have power......70mph on the flat (I wimp it not the bus)

Oh, that's looks loverly!! Kinda like the Okrasa air filters? What's the going rate, price wise for a set up like this if you dont mind me asking?

Used between 200 and 300 euro (depends on state) bud always needs new bushings of the throttle axle.
And brand new about 700 euro, sounds allot but they are very very popular in Germany and always sells quickly.
I did rebuild 18 of these sets but they are getting hard to find now.
1 set for sale :wink: and 1 set ready to go on my new engine.
I really don't like the mexican,china, brazillian repro stuff with crappy castings and cheap air filters, better rebuild some german quality stuff 8)

I forgot about Dellorto FRD's. They are pukka if you can find a set. I ran them on my Ghia with a 009. It was fine.

Dirty Harry said:

Used between 200 and 300 euro (depends on state) bud always needs new bushings of the throttle axle.
And brand new about 700 euro, sounds allot but they are very very popular in Germany and always sells quickly.
I did rebuild 18 of these sets but they are getting hard to find now.
1 set for sale :wink: and 1 set ready to go on my new engine.
I really don't like the mexican,china, brazillian repro stuff with crappy castings and cheap air filters, better rebuild some german quality stuff 8)

Hi DH!

1 for sale you say? So a full set up with manifolds, filters and stuff, or just the carbs? :wink:

Alistair

the councillor said:
dellorto 34FRDs :wink:

*end of thread*

If your never going larger than 1600, then yes, but they offer no future scope. I had some on my old Type 3 and they were good.

I just bought some recon DRLA 36s from Alpha1234 on eBay, and they were about £300 .... thats 'better then new' though. The rest of the fitting kit I need will be between £150 and £200, as the exchange rate stands :? So, about £500 all in. I must be mad ....

aogrady said:
Benyon said:

Hi!

Yeah, i see what you mean, did your carbs come with air filters and everything? Guess if anyone had anything for 180-200 is for 2nd hand??

How do you get on with them? Power, MPG, hot and cold start etc??

Thanks for the info m8!

Alistair

The set included everything you need 8) (http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=TYPE%201%20ICT%20kit&CategoryID=12&PartsectionID=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) except extra fuel line, so I took the option of replacing all lines when mine were installed.

They are great, Easy runs the same carb set up and he rates them too. Much more power, runs cooler (but tinware wasn't sealed properly before install), no problem on hot start, they don't have a choke but Easy claims three pumps of the pedal to prime the engine and they fire up straight away but my engine had never been a good starter, think the exhaust plays as much a part in this as any - always backfires & pops a few times before it runs smoothly. With regards to economy I still get 25mpg tho I drive faster now, used to start to overheat anything above 60, have now hit 80 when overtaking then quickly slowed down when I looked at the speedo!! :shock: Tho its worth noting I also added electronic ignition at the same time so theres several factors to affect the running...

Latest posts