So how much may a 2nd hand twin carb set up cost??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clem said:
If your never going larger than 1600, then yes, but they offer no future scope. I had some on my old Type 3 and they were good.

I just bought some recon DRLA 36s from Alpha1234 on eBay, and they were about £300 .... thats 'better then new' though. The rest of the fitting kit I need will be between £150 and £200, as the exchange rate stands :? So, about £500 all in. I must be mad ....

well, the OP did say they were for an otherwise stock 1600, although i see no reason why you couldn't use them on a 1776, or maybe more effectively on a 1745... mine came off a 1915 which they were 'too small' for... lots of 'other' factors to consider though.

if you paid more attention every once in a while, or maybe even answered the phone before you entered into these flights of fantasy, you'd recall that i have two pairs of 36 DRLAs just sitting on a shelf, but you probably don't want to know that now :?

the councillor said:
Clem said:
If your never going larger than 1600, then yes, but they offer no future scope. I had some on my old Type 3 and they were good.

I just bought some recon DRLA 36s from Alpha1234 on eBay, and they were about £300 .... thats 'better then new' though. The rest of the fitting kit I need will be between £150 and £200, as the exchange rate stands :? So, about £500 all in. I must be mad ....

well, the OP did say they were for an otherwise stock 1600, although i see no reason why you couldn't use them on a 1776, or maybe more effectively on a 1745... mine came off a 1915 which they were 'too small' for... lots of 'other' factors to consider though.

if you paid more attention every once in a while, or maybe even answered the phone before you entered into these flights of fantasy, you'd recall that i have two pairs of 36 DRLAs just sitting on a shelf, but you probably don't want to know that now :?

In your first part, I see you are essentially agreeing with me. :)

Two pairs? Are they cleaned, remachined, balanced, jetted and ready to fit? Bugger, I would have had them off you ...... or are they filthy, siezed and of unknown origin, save relay couriered from a muddy field in England, somewhere? :lol:

Clem said:
In your first part, I see you are essentially agreeing with me. :)
be a fool not to... when have you ever been wrong ? *the* best 1584 carbs. the end.

Clem said:
Two pairs? Are they cleaned, remachined, balanced, jetted and ready to fit? Bugger, I would have had them off you...
don't you remember me joking about my emulsion tubes being clogged up with bacon mould spores... just after we passed through that town near the port where there were five crows standing in perfect symmetry on the telephone line ?

you don't listen to a word i say do you :roll:

(i'd have swapped them for an extended sliding door handle)

:lol:

I'll link his profile when I get home!

Hi DH!

1 for sale you say? So a full set up with manifolds, filters and stuff, or just the carbs?

Alistair

They will come completly but i'm not sure about the price because they need a full rebuild and i'm not sure how many new parts i need for them.
I will let you know.

Dirty Harry said:
Hi DH!

1 for sale you say? So a full set up with manifolds, filters and stuff, or just the carbs?

Alistair

They will come completly but i'm not sure about the price because they need a full rebuild and i'm not sure how many new parts i need for them.
I will let you know.

Hi DH!

That would be nice, bear me in mind - let me know a rough price whenever you can, i am in no rush - need to save :roll:

Alistair

The set included everything you need 8) (http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_details.asp?PartNo=TYPE%201%20ICT%20kit&CategoryID=12&PartsectionID=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) except extra fuel line, so I took the option of replacing all lines when mine were installed.

They are great, Easy runs the same carb set up and he rates them too. Much more power, runs cooler (but tinware wasn't sealed properly before install), no problem on hot start, they don't have a choke but Easy claims three pumps of the pedal to prime the engine and they fire up straight away but my engine had never been a good starter, think the exhaust plays as much a part in this as any - always backfires & pops a few times before it runs smoothly. With regards to economy I still get 25mpg tho I drive faster now, used to start to overheat anything above 60, have now hit 80 when overtaking then quickly slowed down when I looked at the speedo!! :shock: Tho its worth noting I also added electronic ignition at the same time so theres several factors to affect the running...

Hmm, ok. Sounds ok then the ICT's. I get about 25, maybe a bit more on a nice run. Also seen VW Speedshop with 34 Solex's for around £300 too. Or there are the DRLA's mentioned too.....

Alistair

http://stores.ebay.com/ALFA1750S-CARBURETORS-PARTS-STORE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reccomended! 8)

34mm Solexs on Speedshop website at £325. They offer kits for single port also. This may have just tempted me. 8)

I've no experience of them... but I like the idea that they have chokes.

I don't like having to wait for my bug engine (with chokeless original Kadrons) to warm up for a mile or two before it starts sounding 'right'.

If that makes sense 8)

My Trekker would idle straight away with 40's on. If they are jetted right, they won't need chokes.

A lot of the repro stiff, Solex & EMPI are all made in china & are of poor quality.

If you buy a pair of 36 or 40's you will never have to buy another carb again. they are the best, period.

Latest posts