• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
Before you read any further, this beam requires a degree of re-working before it can be used!

Purchased last year, when I went to fit it, I found that where the bearings are pressed into the tubes, the tubes are ever-so-slightly out of round, presumably due to the welding process. So whilst the bearings can be pressed into the tubes, the suspension arms are then too tight to slide in and rotate freely. I'm sure someone with the skills / tools could have some way of machining these out slightly - it is only one side of the beam that has the issue, and currently the bearings are removed.

The beam never made it onto our van, so is unused in that sense. There are a few points where the powder coat has been chipped off, as can be seen in the photos, which seemed to be unavoidable whilst moving it around.

Whilst I appreciate that this beam has effectively cost me nothing, it did somewhat dampen our annual CamperJam experience after working until 3am the night before, and then not being able to get their until late on the Friday night. So whilst I'm not looking to sell this for cash, I'm hoping that exchanging it for a case of Brew Dog beers for myself and a nice bottle of gin for the Mrs will be justifiable!

Collection from Worcester preferred as I don't really have the materials to package this safely. Also, it gives me a chance to show anyone where the issue lies in person.

Pics to follow...

1fa88436b0afbb0a5bd2dffbd3758433.jpg

6386e794114edbcbf81862cd17502eaf.jpg

9196ae76c4db3ce6a589eddea3710e62.jpg

438887936f497abfce6931ec8642de96.jpg

d910983c7382f00d147f428259a21876.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Moseley.

I’m interested in this, sounds like a great deal!!

Is it just the end of the tubes that have warped slightly?

You think it’s probably ok just past the welded area?

Kind Regards

Pete

Sandy71 said:
Hi Moseley.

I’m interested in this, sounds like a great deal!!

Is it just the end of the tubes that have warped slightly?

You think it’s probably ok just past the welded area?

Kind Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

With the bearings installed, the suspension arms will go in with a little persuasion and they will rotate, but there is a physical resistance from them being too tight against the bearing. So I don't believe the weld itself is the issue, but the heat from the weld has transmitted along the bearing carrier tube, and distorted it ever-so-slightly. I'll take some measurements and post them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok so on the good side, the maximum deviation from the expected 58mm bore is 0.1mm. On the bad side, it is 0.5mm. With the bearings removed, the suspension arms fit fine with no interference.

Hi,
If this doesn't work out, I'll come and collect that please, and would be more than happy to stock you up on beers and fine gin.
Si.

As said pm this hasn't gone already IL happily take this with a good drink on table cheers

Now sold, appreciate all the interest. One less thing to trip over in the garage...!

Latest posts