Solex 31 pict 3 standard jet sizes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Reaction score
Can someone on here help me please, I am running a 31 pict 3 carb on a completely standard SP 1600 with a SVDA distributor. Full rebuilt engine, all new ignition system, plugs and leads, no vacuum leaks and fresh fuel. BUT overtime I come to a stop the engine stalls. It starts straight away and off I go again until the next time I stop or slow down. I've gone through all the usual checks with the servo etc and all is ok. Been as I bought a refurbished carb (like for like) I was wondering what jets should be fitted as standard as this is the only thing I can think of.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as left foot breaking is becoming a pain...... :sign0009:

is the idle shut off valve got power and working?

I've got 55 idle jet in my 30pict3 but my volume screw is turned right out to get the rpm in range, I plan to change but it's running so well I don't want to mess with it.

Also I'm not 100% but I think the 30/1pict3 carbs weren't for SVDA but vac only ones

Wingnut said:
Can someone on here help me please, I am running a 31 pict 3 carb on a completely standard SP 1600 with a SVDA distributor. Full rebuilt engine, all new ignition system, plugs and leads, no vacuum leaks and fresh fuel. BUT overtime I come to a stop the engine stalls. It starts straight away and off I go again until the next time I stop or slow down. I've gone through all the usual checks with the servo etc and all is ok. Been as I bought a refurbished carb (like for like) I was wondering what jets should be fitted as standard as this is the only thing I can think of.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as left foot breaking is becoming a pain...... :sign0009:

Exactly same issue here. Sick of healing/toeing to keep it going. I got a re-build kit for it, but not got round to it yet. It's that bad, I have tweaked the cable adjuster so it idles around 1100 now. Not ideal, but not using it much at mo. Fuel cut off works, done the usual check on it.

Needs adjustment badly or something.

Check the idle jet. It can be removed from the right side of the carb. No dismantling required.

It's prone to blocking if there's any dirt about. Literally a five minute job.

Trikky2 said:
Check the idle jet. It can be removed from the right side of the carb. No dismantling required.

It's prone to blocking if there's any dirt about. Literally a five minute job.

On the RH side? You got a pic of this pal?

Cheers.

Number 34 on this image

http://www.vw-resource.com/carb_41.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WOO HOO!!!

After an hour or so of playing around with the carb and trying every conceivable setup I could find on the internet I removed the idle jet and the auxiliary jet and cleaned them again with yet again no joy. I checked the jet sizes and thought I'd have a swap with some spare ones I had. I have no idea if these are the correct ones as I can't find the stock spec for the carb and engine. The jets fitted were a 60 idle and a 45 aux idle which caused the stalling issue, I kept the 60 idle but replaced the aux idle jet to a 52.5 and reset the tick over screw to 800 rpm when up to temp and off choke and took her for a spin. NO STALLING WHATSOEVER, and has a smoother pick up and stable idle. HAPPY AS A PIG IN POO !

:party0003: :party0003: :party0003: :party0003: :party0003: :party0003: :party0003: :party0003: :party0003: :party0003:

Excellent- now take it to a garage, give them a tenner and ask them to adjust your carb to 3% CO at idle... Make sure they understand that they need to use the two screws on the nearside of the vehicle together, not the screw on the arm.

Telling you, it's worth the "hassle"- an incorrectly adjusted carburettor can kill an engine in no time, even if it seems OK to your ear.

Latest posts