Change from solex 30 pict 3 to solex 34 pict 3

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a s/p 1641 cc currently with a solex 30 pict 3 and a non vacuum 009 dizzie With Pertronix elec ignition
I am thinking of up grading to a solex 34 pict 3 with vacuum and a 123 vacuum dizzie.
I am getting confused with all of this as I’ve seen that a 34 went fit , adapters seem to be available to go from a 34 to a 30/31 but not the other way.
It will be quite a costly swap if it can be done so want to get it right …..any guidance would be great.

Hi, have you got any photos of your current set up? I may be wrong here but I think the 34 pict 3 should bolt straight onto the manifold whereas the 30 pict 3 will have the adapter between it and the manifold. If so you can simply remove the adapter and bolt the 34 pict 3 straight onto the manifold.

Move that fuel filter. It's more hassle to have it outside below the tank but its a bit safer. And while you're at it wire up the brass spigot to the carb. Small inexpensive changes like this can reduce the fire risk. I also have a Blaze Cut in the engine bay and hope I never need it. How much do you love your van?

Attachments

• Carb inlet wirelock.JPG
    Carb inlet wirelock.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Move that fuel filter. It's more hassle to have it outside below the tank but its a bit safer. And while you're at it wire up the brass spigot to the carb. Small inexpensive changes like this can reduce the fire risk. I also have a Blaze Cut in the engine bay and hope I never need it. How much do you love your van?
Thanks.
1. The fuel filter was put there temporarily to assess an intermittent fault aI was experiencing with my fuel cut off solenoid which is beneath the van and close to the fuel tank. I could then see whether it was working without constantly pulling a hose off.
2. I think you may have missed the big red thing in the top right of the photo, also the yellow tag marked “ fire extinguisher “ :)
3. Thanks for the tip about wiring up the fuel hose although my hose clips are extremely secure .Can I ask what type of hose you have , it seems like a braided type but I may be mistaken. Also is that a jubilee clip on your fuel line or am I mistaken.

ps. I do like my van.

Last edited:
Hi you, is that an adaptor on your inlet manifold now or is it an extension to get over a larger alternator?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I likes twin carbs ,,, who don’t like twins :eek:
I think it must be an adaptor as without it there wouldn’t be enough clearance from the alternator. Probably more of a spacer than an adaptor really.
on the subject of going from a 30 pict 3 to a 34 it seems that a 34 won’t fit on a single port. My 30 doesn’t utilise the vacuum but I’ve had a reply from 123 in Holland that I can use the 123 vacuum one even if I don’t connect it up. They said I don’t even need to cap it unless I’m driving at altitude…..Don’t like heights anyway(y)

If you can stretch to Twin Webers on that s/p 1641 together with the 123 you will not regret it. Just done it recently and wondered why on earth I didn’t done it sooner 👍

IMG_6675.jpeg

If you can stretch to Twin Webers on that s/p 1641 together with the 123 you will not regret it. Just done it recently and wondered why on earth I didn’t done it sooner 👍

View attachment 6448
Wow , thanks for that. Nobody has suggested that . when you say “ stretch “ do you mean wallet or technical ability. First option may have marginally better chance than the second .
Any info on what I should be looking for and the problems I may encounter.
thanks

Have a little look at
Way Out Westy
He seems to be the go to man for twin 34s. I run a pair of these and youre more than welcome to charge up and down the main road at Techenders.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Reckon he’d fit em too :unsure:

Hi you, is that an adaptor on your inlet manifold now or is it an extension to get over a larger alternator?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, I likes twin carbs ,,, who don’t like twins :eek:

Wow , thanks for that. Nobody has suggested that . when you say “ stretch “ do you mean wallet or technical ability. First option may have marginally better chance than the second .
thanks

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,really ? ;)

@matty74 I am impressed with how clean that engine is. It looks in show room condition.

Have a little look at
Way Out Westy
He seems to be the go to man for twin 34s. I run a pair of these and youre more than welcome to charge up and down the main road at Techenders.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Reckon he’d fit em too :unsure:
Thanks
Yes when I first got the van I was on the way to France, broke down on the way to Chunnel . lo and behold Mike pulled up behind, great bloke. We didn’t sort it then but I limped 1 k around France then booked a course with Mike and spent a lovely evening camping in his garage ! Then a great curry at his local with his lovely wife.
Ill contact him and his van is a dopelganger of mine ( but works better obvs )
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,really ? ;)

thanks

Hi @Huyrob, I meant the overall cost. I reckon my outlay was close to £1k once I’d added the 123 to the cost of carbs, bellcrank linkage, breather kit, Malpassi Filter King regulator, Durite fuel cut off, plus the other worthwhile bits and bobs I did when doing the change. There was no going back, as I sold on everything I took off 🤣 Carb, Manifold, Oil Bath Air filter, multiple dizzy’s etc so did recoup a fair bit of the initial outlay.

The job itself was straightforward enough, I’m a spark so fairly decent at most things, plus I read lots and lots before a job to soak up the knowledge, there’s not a forum or website I haven’t visited to learn things since first having the bus in 2015.

The awkward bits (I didn’t drop the engine to do all this) were removing the oil bath stand and the carb riser manifold studs being too short, replaced with longer (double nut method to remove), also replaced the alternator stand nuts with bolts while they were out, for future ease. I also reinstated the cooling flaps and stat while the tools were out, I just went for it big time lol.
Plumbing was straight forward enough as was the balance pipe, fuel shut off valve and regulator.

I had a guide off @sparkywig for the set up, so that along with various other adaptations and stuff on you tube helped me with the set up. A lot of folk over on LB say don’t get the RV Bluetooth 123 but I chose that one because I liked the idea of being able to tweak the curve to advance from 0 deg, which I am now very very happy with.

Like you I had an 009 at the start on a Solex H30/31. It ran better with a Vac only 205T dizzy, but the Twin ICT’s are night and day and the van is brilliant to drive.

Go for it … you won’t regret it, as you’ll end up making the change at a later date (like me) and wonder why you hadn’t years ago.

Here’s the app open on the go, it really helps you to understand how Vac advance works when on the go when feathering the pedal 👍

25856e6a-5725-4a29-af19-49301766fce6.jpeg

Last edited:
If you’re ever down near Prestatyn give us a shout and I’ll show you the set up on the bus 👍
Would love that. Just been out to Hilltop Classics Wrexham to discuss a few things. Seem a great and enthusiastic family team and very knowledgeable. Have you heard of them?

Would love that. Just been out to Hilltop Classics Wrexham to discuss a few things. Seem a great and enthusiastic family team and very knowledgeable. Have you heard of them?
Not heard, but website looks good. Handy to know 👍 Abel’s also in Wrexham, so I guess I’m lucky to only be 40 mins away

Not heard, but website looks good. Handy to know 👍 Abel’s also in Wrexham, so I guess I’m lucky to only be 40 mins away
Not heard of Abel’s do you have a link or name ?
I was so impressed with Hilltop. Rang and spoke to one of the sons who said “ yes please go to workshop and he would tell them to expect me”
put postcode in and it took me to their house where the son spent best part of an hour discussing. Very, very knowledgeable. I’m not but was with a mate who is. Then he suggested we go to meet his dad and brother at the workshop. Very organised but “ real” couldn’t believe the enthusiasm , spent over an hour discussing, father and brother underneath the van, I kept apologising but they were amazingly keen.
Not like they had an empty order book …..they had a van on a lift undergoing a full refurb….looked amazing. Another on a ramp for general work. Phone went and another casualty was limping its way in. Quite remarkable and a real pleasure.
I had a bad experience with another old Vw organisation in wales that really duped me, owner was genuine but his colleague was a real cheat to both me and his boss so had to go elsewhere ( which was me !)

Latest posts