Solex 34 carb set up question .

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I've had my carb professionally serviced and now it's back on the motor you would think everything would be OK .Unfortunatly not so. I followed the guide of 2 1/2 turns out on both mixture and idle screws as a base setting .then with the motor warmed and choke off I set the idle to 900 by winding in the idle screw then turned the mixture screw clockwise until the motor started to struggle then wound it out till I thought the revs were at the fastest and smoothest although if I kept winding out it just seemed to speed up more ,anyway then I wound in the idle till it was sitting nicely at 850 rpm and thought I'd sorted it ,but when I checked what position the screws were at to my supprise the idle was about half a turn out from all the way in and the mixture was 4 and a bit turns out ??? Yet it seems to be running sweet .I don't understand

Serviced how?, a total strip down and rebuild or a removal for cleaning.

You could have vacuum leaks from bushes etc

The chap that does it ,strips it and sonically cleans it then replaces any bush that's worn ,resets /calibrates float ,checks all needles screws seat properly and replaces worn O rings etc .Hes been doing this an building motors for many years and a lot of peeps use him as he's very thorough so I had no issue in his work .

fozworth said:
The chap that does it ,strips it and sonically cleans it then replaces any bush that's worn ,resets /calibrates float ,checks all needles screws seat properly and replaces worn O rings etc .Hes been doing this an building motors for many years and a lot of peeps use him as he's very thorough so I had no issue in his work .

Sounds like something is amiss with it, I replaced mine years ago with an Empi copy and followed the instructions as you state above and it ran sweetly. Unfortunately carbs wear and they are intricate in design so with the best will in the world it might just be junk :(

Latest posts