SP/TP tinware? nightmare

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberdubber

Reaction score
Hi all

Ok i have recently purchased a 1978 panel van and removed the engine to change a head the other week, its a single port engine (b) with twin port heads, it was fitted with NO tinware apart from the fan housing. Now im trying to figure out what tinware i need, ive purchased 2 cylinder head covers, front tinware piece that goes behind the fan housing, 3 piece under tin-set and the big bit that seals the engine to the rear valance, anything else i will need? Trying to figure out how it all bolts together and getting it to fit is proving tricky... Does anyone know of a decent exploded tinware diagram? the one on vw heritage isnt very clear nor is the one in my book.

cheers :D

It's all pretty straightforward but you will also need the small tin bits that go on to the rear of the cylinder tins (parts 26 and 27 on diagram below). Check that the cylinder deflector plates are in place between the cylinders - these are uber important! I'll try to find a better exploded diag and put it up for you.

As I understand it you are trying to run tp heads on an sp block and sp oil cooler - yes?
Your oil will run a bit hotter than it should with the small oil cooler. I always fit a later doghouse oil cooler plus the 'Hoover piece' and then a doghouse fan housing. That gives you much better oil cooling that copes with extra power from the tp heads. You may need some oil cooler conversion seals from Coolair or VWH if your block is drilled for 8mm oil passages, but from memory dual relief B blocks are drilled for 10mm, so standard seals should be OK. If the block is single relief valve, the oil cooler holes will be 8mm. To fit the bigger cooler you need to drill out the two holes for the holding studs next to No3 cylinder and fit a bigger stud than the existing 6mm one for the other fixing.
Lots of info here: http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/vwtech/OilCoolerSealFaq.html
and here: http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oilcool.htm
Exploded diagram here: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t201000.gif look at the other microfiches too.

Hi there

Thanks for the help! Well ive got 2 engines, ive got a 1600 sp with tp heads that came out the van and a re-conditioned sp engine that i got off ebay cheap. I think what im going to do this year is just use the standard 1600 single port then maybe go for a big bore kit and twin port next year, abit short of time and cash this year.

Anyhow so ile be fitting a standard single port engine into a 78 van, tinware wise i have ordered, cylinder head covers, front tinware piece, 3 piece under tin set, the bid rear piece that seals engine to rear valance, 2 air deflector plates and 2 baffle plates. This should be the lot then? I take it, it all just screws together and to the engine? Im new to working on this aircooled malarky so its all abit confusing! :lol:

cheers :)

Yep - you'll have enough bits to keep the b*****r cool :D

If you fit a bigger bore kit make absolutely sure the bottom end is good. I would always split the case and fit new mains and big ends, but some people just change the big ends without splitting the case. You can get away with that only if the crank end play is less than 6 thou. Anything greater than 6 thou and chances are that the front main is moving in the case - when a big bore kit will send the crank to rod city!

:lol: cheers ile make sure i do that, will go for the big engine strip next year i think, keep the van off the salty roads! Just been in the garage, neither engine has a thermostat and the flaps that this would control have been removed, is this likely to cause me a problem? worth putting a thermostat on or are they not worth the hassle?

cheers, been a massive help

At the risk of restarting the old flaps/no flaps debate, IMO it's OK to run with no flaps and stat providing you are mostly using the van in the 'warm season'.
If you are doing a lot of winter driving then the stat and flaps setup warms the engine up much more quickly and when properly adjusted gives fine control over the cooling. I fit stats and flaps to all my vans (err four at the moment) just because I love to see them working properly and have lots of bits lying about - sad but true :D

Latest posts