Spark plug thread woes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
Seem I have an issue with the spark plug working itself loose due to a stripped thread. Is is possible to insert a helicoil with the engine in or is it an engine out job? Advice gratefully appreciated.

Hey Gar, im guessing some one some where has done it, but you would maybe have to be very practised at it or damned lucky to get it all in square. By the time you’ve messed about stripping this that and the other off to get to it, I’d go with motor out. After all it’s only four bolts innit :p ;) :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,, someone will tell you it’s a piece of piss though :mrgreen:

Just replace the head - easier and less issues in the long run

We had a helicoiled plug thread in an engine we had. It had been done by the previous owner. We had the engine out testing it and the plug fired out like a BULLET! Luckily no one was hurt. If it was me - replace the head.

Mine had been done by previous owner. They’re now becoming loose, so it’s gonna be new heads soon.

'68 Single Cab
'71 Danbury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. Motor out and change head. Never taken a motor out before but must start now. Best look up a few manuals and u tube videos to see what needs doing.

Latest posts