Speedi Sleeve on flywheel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20815

Reaction score
Morning, has anyone used a speedi sleeve on a 1600 flywheel to fix a crankshaft oil leak? If so do you know the skf part number?

Never heard of these until now, having just looked them up I'm thinking over ordering one myself. Replaced my rear main seal a couple of years back, it slowed the leak down but didn't get rid of it completely, hopefully this would cure it, interesting to see any feedback from people who've used one.

Well I'm sick of the leak so I'm going to whip the flywheel off and take it to my local bearing company and see if they can find one to fit. If they do I'll let you know the part number. There are loads of sites which talk about beetles but nothing about bays. Are the flywheels different on bays?

I'm not sure mate, can't imagine they can be different surely?, hopefully going to be changing my seal again in the next 3-4 weeks so ill definitely try this if you get the right part no.
Brett

Well I got one and fitted it. Quite painless really. They are very very thin and very very very tight so hopefully will do the job. Only time will tell now. Here are some pics.
Before:

SKF 99269

Fitted:

I'm not sure if there is a better fitting one height wise because I had to trim quite a lot off but the shaft size is 70mm dead.

I obviously fitted two new oil seals while I was there. I also applied a tiny amount of gasket sealer to the shaft before hammering the speedi sleeve on but this was overkill I think. Fingers crossed.

I ended up opting for a new flywheel in the end, it was only £25-£30 dearer than buying the speedi sleeve.

Yeah main seal a O ring. I'll probably go with a new flywheel next time I think but it's nice to have options.

Hey buddy. Totally stopped it. Where do you get your flywheels from mate? The sleeves are only about £21 and the cheapest flywheel I could find was over £100.

Got the flywheel from gsf with a code, might be taking it back though, I've picked up a speedi sleeve so I'm gonna try both at the weekend and see which I'm happier with before re fitting.

Wow that's not good. Did you get it started square? I had to really wack mine on but the shoulder was fine. I bet I'm off your Christmas card list now :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts