Spring plate bushes.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Sam*

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am about to fit a new set of spring plate bushes and wanted to know if people are sticking to the tal-cum powder as the lubrication as per the Bentley manual or are people using red rubber grease.

Cheers
Sam

Talcum powder for me.. works fine and that's what VW used..

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Yes, that's what I have used previously, was curious if anyone had used the modern rubber grease seeing technology has moved on.

I used red rubber grease, but cannot comment on how good it is regarding squeaks etc, as the bus still isn't on the road :roll:

From what I gather, the idea is that the plates do not rotate in the bushes. The inside of the bushes are designed to twist with the plate and the outside is supposed to stay put, so the twist is provided by the elastic nature of the bush.

Hence the use of talc rather than grease, it initially lubricates the bushes for assembly but once the bush is seated it shouldn't make the plate move independently of the bush.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

rlepecha said:
From what I gather, the idea is that the plates do not rotate in the bushes. The inside of the bushes are designed to twist with the plate and the outside is supposed to stay put, so the twist is provided by the elastic nature of the bush.

Hence the use of talc rather than grease, it initially lubricates the bushes for assembly but once the bush is seated it shouldn't make the plate move independently of the bush.

That seems logical, however, those bushes are so tight to install, I doubt that they will move at all regardless of what is used to help lubricate them.

If you are not sure, just use Talc or a smaller amount of red rubber grease.

Latest posts