Standard gear lever/shift lever instalation question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesx

Reaction score
Can anyone help!? I'm new to all this :shock:

I have just returned from a 1000 mile trip in my bus which performed well until I was about 500 meteres from home. I suddenly found that I could only select 3rd, 4th and reverse gear.

I have done some searching and it seems that the shft plate needs adjusting??

I have just enthusisatically attcked this job and having left it in neutral I removed the two bolts and lifted the gear shift free. I have cleaned everything up but now find that I cannot get the ball at the end of the lever back in the hole in the shift rod under the van.

The problem seems to be the small pin that is in the ball part at the bottom of the shift lever. This is sprung loaded and will not allow me to locate the 'ball in the socket' as it keeps popping out.

How do you do this?! Do I need someone under the van to push the two bits together or is there a secret way of doing this?

Thanks

:D My mistake!

I copied a web pic to try and better explain where the pin was located in the ball end of the shift lever that is on my one.

My lever is the standard one fitted to EB's. Well, I say a standard one. Mine is longer than the one in the picture but the ball end and pin is the same as the one I've shown. Is mine 'standard'?

I have received advice elsewhere who suggest that installation is a matter of getting the ball part in the the cup and at the same time locate the pin in the slot in the cup part and then bolt it all down - Easy said then done it seems.......................................... :D

Latest posts