Standard height and alloys

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Standard height and alloys

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 93.8%

• Total voters
Some early pictures before i started any serious work but you get the idea.
Camper12.jpg

Camper14.jpg

nice bus dude! would rock sprints :wink: (if it wasnt narrow 5 :( ) bummer. you could always convert? :lol:

Thats also the issue, narrow 5's so i'm stuck for decent looking alloys, the only real option are porsche with adapters.
Will leave it for the time being and concentrate on something else, its just like driving a boat in the wind, wasn;t sure if bigger wheels would give some more stability as im still not sure about what why to lower it (if i lower it :wink: )

you seem a bit confused :wink:

following on from what i was wittering about earlier, i find the whole *replica* alloy thing bizarre.

i would ordinarily use one of those ridiculous japanese splitty things as an example, but in recent years there has been a rise in the popularity of so-called *early* bays (as witnessed for instance on this wonderful forum 8) ) so let's use them for an example.

the japanese things i'm on about...

eve-pepa-1.jpg

that sort of thing... is it a vw ? NO, clearly not, and if you turned up at a vw show (vanfest for instance) and lined it up in the show and shine then i'm afraid (given the amount of 'snobbery' that prevails in the scene) you'd be the laughing stock of the day... after all, when people can be so precious about the shape of a bumper or the position of an indicator, then what chance has that monstrosity ^^^^^ got ?

none. exactly; bloody ridiculous thing.

but how many of said (imaginary) hecklers would be running replica alloys ? and what's the difference ?

is an aluminium 'gas burner' with 5 on 112 bolt spacing made in, i dunno, the uk (?) the same as a magnesium gas burner with 5 on 130 manufactured in germany ?

i don't think so.

the BRM replica is an even more extreme example, yet you can't move for them at shows.

in my world (and it's a sad and lonely one i admit) there is no difference between the crazy jap replica buses and a snide BRM... it's just *degrees of infinity* wearing a different jacket.

so... you've got 5 on 112 hubs and brakes. there are plenty of alloys out there you can fit, but you have to ask yourself 'why ?'

if you like a set of rims, then go ahead... it matters not a jot what this rambling fool thinks as he sits hunched over his keyboard in a darkened bedroom; but don't fit a set just because you're *supposed to*

14" steels rule... that's why they were on there in the first place - plus there's a set bolted to the coolest bus in the world (i'm ignoring the newly fitted 17" fuch *replicas* for reasons stated above :roll: )

*happy days*

:mrgreen:

I have to disagree!

who was it that said Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Cant see any problem with running replica wheels, that is as long as they are a good replica, not like the nasty fuche that looks nothing like the original, it would be nice if we could all get a set of genuine BRM,s but we cant. How boring would the VW world be if replicas weren't in existence, would we al be running around on steels! Or TSW Venoms!

Although saying that, it would possibly force wheel manufacturers to come up with new wheels in 5x205 fitment! When was the last time that happened???

Mark

At the end of the day the appeal of the vw scene to me has and always will be the fact that thier are so many people all who do it thier own way! if you go to a show the chances are the people with thier "laws" might be the ones getting the places in the magazines and on the show and shine lots (not that im discrediting the amount of work and effort needed to produce a feaure worthy car) but when im at a show its never the car on the show and shine laine up that takes my breath away. its normally a car in the campsite that would only get as far as the readers rides in volksworld mag as it "isnt AS cool". when you have people hacking up 56 oval window beetles to make rat rods and getting featured in mags i think that rep alloys on a stock height bus look uber gut! the fact is the people with the laws are probabley the minority on the vw circuit. if you think they lok cool then do it. never look as good as a lowered bus on alloys but its personal choice!

Anyway you havent told us if you think they would look good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AxlFoley said:
I have to disagree!

who was it that said Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Although saying that, it would possibly force wheel manufacturers to come up with new wheels in 5x205 fitment! When was the last time that happened???

Mark
disagree away 8) that's what the place is for after all... a bit of lively debate. all i'm saying is that it's a strange world where *certain* imitations are shunned... i've got examples coming out of my ears... what about that bus that came over from sweden with the barndoor front end grafted onto it ? absolutely panned in certain circles. baysplits... what's everybody's opinion of them ? cool ? a genuine low(er)-cost alternative to a 'real' splitty ? what if you graft the fibreglass front onto an early bay rather than a late one... is that somehow cooler, or less cool for having more splitty-like features that you've ruined... how about grafting early arches etc. onto a late bay to make an early... again; cooler, or un-cool ? acceptable or unacceptable ?

it shouldn't matter ONE TINY BIT just as it shouldn't matter about the colour of your hair or... or... and so on and so on but i've been to more than my share of show and shines and i reckon i know the score; nobody but nobody at vanfest is gonna applaud a baysplit... it'd be a laughing stock, a ridiculous attempt to copy something which it clearly isn't.

BRM replica wheels are fair dinkum though.

*go figure*

:?

as for 5 on 205 replicas wasn't there that big rash of them last year ? enkeis and torkers and all that lot ?

young_dubya said:
Anyway you havent told us if you think they would look good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
you don't give up do you :wink:

i LOVE SA sprints or whatever the correct name for them is... they're my third favourite 5 on 205 rim and possibly the easiest of the three to get hold of (scott wilson :wink: ) but i still reckon they only look good on buses that have been laid out - i can't put my finger on the reason for my thinking but a stock height bus looks best on factory rims, and if we're being really fussy then i'd probably have to add that they should be painted body-colour, with polished stainless beauty rings and thin whitewalls :shock:

what a maverick :twisted:

not what i'd choose to roll personally, but whenever i see that combo i get that little (low-energy) lightbulb come on above my head 8)

the councillor said:
young_dubya said:
you don't give up do you :wink:

i LOVE SA sprints or whatever the correct name for them is... they're my third favourite 5 on 205 rim and possibly the easiest of the three to get hold of (scott wilson :wink: ) but i still reckon they only look good on buses that have been laid out - i can't put my finger on the reason for my thinking but a stock height bus looks best on factory rims, and if we're being really fussy then i'd probably have to add that they should be painted body-colour, with polished stainless beauty rings and thin whitewalls :shock:

what a maverick :twisted:

not what i'd choose to roll personally, but whenever i see that combo i get that little (low-energy) lightbulb come on above my head 8)

Something like this you mean (sorry for the poor photo quality)
DSC00184.jpg

I think replicas or customs can all look good as long as its done to a high standard!

If for instance you are bringing something back from the dead, and in doing that you fit early arches or an early front end then why not, but cutting up good metal to make it look younger, I can't see the point in.

I do love a standard bus, but if I had bags of cash, time, and ability, I would have a custom bus any day of the week. standard can be safe (in the style sense) and boring, Kustom is fun (see what I did there)!

I see when you a re coming from though, its ok to run replica BRMs as they are regarded as cool, whereas replicating an early van would be frowned upon, by the same people, is there a difference?.....

young_dubya said:
i was reffering to froggy :mrgreen:
i'll get me coat :oops:

(his silence speaks volumes though... don't you reckon ?)

AxlFoley said:
Something like this you mean (sorry for the poor photo quality)

I see when you a re coming from though, its ok to run replica BRMs as they are regarded as cool, whereas replicating an early van would be frowned upon, by the same people, is there a difference?.....
yeah; your wheels are bang on 8)

and you're bang on about the replicas too... i call it *selective hypocrisy* :?

not to be confused with *selective law-breaking* :x

in our town at the moment there is the possibility of something happening that might possibly (tenuous or what ?) bring people into the town who might once have broken the law... i recently challenged somebody who was *morally outraged* about this and yet continue to walk their dog across the town's playing field where there are DO NOT WALK YOUR BLOODY DOG ON THIS FIELD signs everywhere and they just couldn't see my point / the irony :roll:

so, breaking the law's ok, so long as it's just you doing it then... no wonder i take solace in ranting about replica wheels on here... the real world's mental :|

ha-ha so true.

I was going to have a rant about selective vegetarianism (is that a word) but decided that can of worms can stay shut lol

Are Radars replicas if they are 17" or are they a new wheel based on an old design??

While we are on the subject, does any one know what's the best thing to make my white walls white again?

AxlFoley said:
ha-ha so true.

I was going to have a rant about selective vegetarianism (is that a word) but decided that can of worms can stay shut lol

Are Radars replicas if they are 17" or are they a new wheel based on an old design??

While we are on the subject, does any one know what's the best thing to make my white walls white again?
oh my sister was the queen of selective vegetarianism...

jan 1st ooh ooh it's so cruel
jan 2nd you're all monsters
jan 3rd meat is murder
dec 24th mmm yum yum

what's that ?

"fried blood"

what ?

"fried blood"

um, what ?

"bit of bread, soaked in blood, shallow fried. wanna slice ?"

yeah, but... are you mental ?

"it is christmas"

etc. etc.

every year... pass the dripping...

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT ???

anyway; back to the wheels... radars are just a shameless cash-in, that's what they are, and according to 'viz' the best thing to use on your tyres is monkey sperm.

HTH :wink:

the councillor said:
[anyway; back to the wheels... radars are just a shameless cash-in, that's what they are, and according to 'viz' the best thing to use on your tyres is monkey sperm.:wink:
I haven't read Viz inyears.

Anyway back to my original question, as it law and i'm a none intentional law breaker i have decided (read the wife has decided :lol: :wink: ) that the wheels are staying as is, also so is the height (for now)

Moving onto the interior next or maybe the bodywork any...........
Get ready for another exciting question coming soon.............. :twisted:

froggy said:
the councillor said:
[anyway; back to the wheels... radars are just a shameless cash-in, that's what they are, and according to 'viz' the best thing to use on your tyres is monkey sperm.:wink:
I haven't read Viz inyears.

Anyway back to my original question, as it law and i'm a none intentional law breaker i have decided (read the wife has decided :lol: :wink: ) that the wheels are staying as is, also so is the height (for now)

Moving onto the interior next or maybe the bodywork any...........
Get ready for another exciting question coming soon.............. :twisted:

how about fitting a pop top on that nice tintop of yours?? ;)

Thinking the van looks better in my signature than in real life!
Have to get the 2 to match 8)

NO POPTOPS ALLOWED :evil: :evil: :evil:
TINTOP BRIGADE RULES :lol: :lol: :lol:

AxlFoley said:
ha-ha so true.

try these for yer whitewalls matey ..
http://auto.frost.co.uk/search?w=white+wall

there aint nothing they don't do!

Hilly

Latest posts