Standard hight appreciation thread.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLIVE-BAY

Reaction score
Cornwall as far u can g without getting your feet
So I've been pondering and pondering about lowering my van had it for 18 months now and the come to the conclusion that

A- I love looking over the hedges when driving :lol:

B- I love the nice comfy ride

C- I love it that I can clamber around underneath it fix it / check it when every I want 8)

D- She drives straight up on wheel ramps front or back :D

lastly I live in cornwall where the roads are bumpy, also went down the wrong lane to a dead end, had about a 3 - 4 inch step that I needed to drive over in order to turn her around...I was thinking dam lucky she aint lowered I'd be well and truly stuffed :?

Dont get me wrong I love the look of a lowered bus but it just doesn't suit my needs

So am I the only one rocking a standard hight bus? if not why do you not lower it? post pic for solidarity and I do like a good pic 8) :lol:

MOTdayforthevan040.jpg

Had this conversation with Rocket Ron on Sunday about lowering he gave me a dirty look :lol:
I knew instantly what he meant. :lol:Dare to be different stand tall no need to drag your belly to be cool. :mrgreen:

Standard height for me. I like the look of a lowered bus but like the fact I can get underneath mine if something snaps (and they do).
Also love the view it gives you and the soft ride.
Only downside is the trolley jack and axle stands barely reach the chassis!
Oh well - there is always eBay :)
5c28fe09-c2ec-226d.jpg

terrier man said:
Had this conversation with Rocket Ron on Sunday about lowering he gave me a dirty look :lol:
I knew instantly what he meant. :lol:Dare to be different stand tall no need to drag your belly to be cool. :mrgreen:

:lol: very cool

Tosh2710 said:
Standard height for me. I like the look of a lowered bus but like the fact I can get underneath mine if something snaps (and they do).
5c28fe09-c2ec-226d.jpg

block of wood on the jack and its sorted 8)

phew glad I'm not the only high roller on here :mrgreen:

I'm rocking standard height too. I use mine in the summer for camping and just can't justify a lowered bus on some of the sites I've been on. And as my other learned friends have commented it's so much easier to work on. I for one will be keeping my magic carpet ride and I love being able to see over cars in traffic :mrgreen:

photo4.jpg

Tosh2710 said:
5c28fe09-c2ec-226d.jpg

I have four heavy-duty axle stands (bought during the mid or late 1970s), which have more than enough weight & height capacity in reserve; even for a 1968~79 VW Type 2 with raised suspension. However, I do need a height extension, for my trolley jack! :roll:

I shall retain my standard ride height and suspension stiffness, but I shall probaly invest in some heavy-duty front & rear anti-roll bars, to reduce body roll.

OLIVE-BAY said:
come to the conclusion that

A- I love looking over the hedges when driving :lol:

B- I love the nice comfy ride

C- I love it that I can clamber around underneath it fix it / check it when every I want 8)

D- She drives straight up on wheel ramps front or back :D

lastly I live in cornwall where the roads are bumpy, also went down the wrong lane to a dead end, had about a 3 - 4 inch step that I needed to drive over in order to turn her around...I was thinking dam lucky she aint lowered I'd be well and truly stuffed :?

Dont get me wrong I love the look of a lowered bus but it just doesn't suit my needs

So am I the only one rocking a standard hight bus?

post pic for solidarity and I do like a good pic 8) :lol:

You have said it all - I cant add anything other than pic for solidarity :lol:

PICT0023-1.jpg

terrier man said:

DSCN1722-1.jpg

Sorry didn't post a pic here we go, seems a bit lower than most, well it must of sagged a bit in 45years. :lol:

Ive lowered mine not slammed but looking at all the stock heights bus i might dare i say higher it :msn4:

After chatting to a few guys on here im still unsure now :?
I like her stock, But I love em slammed........
Thinking bout flogging the sprint stars and getting a propex instead!!!!!! :D
Its about the comfort!!! :| Dam!!! :oops:

SNV80999.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

rik24 said:
Ive lowered mine not slammed but looking at all the stock heights bus i might dare i say higher it :msn4:
Do we have a convert here :shock: :lol:
Here's some more pics for those who wish to be saved from the Lowside ;)

DSCN1721.jpg

DSCN1699.jpg

Spot the odd-one out in a eb line up. :?

more pics :D
195 R14 rear tyres
IMG_0717.jpg

KRB GR2 front shocks (cos i had them knocking about!)
IMG_0719.jpg

volksworld - wouldnt have been able to park here in the previous lowered state.
photo.jpg

and a few old ones from before I wasted loads of money lowering it :lol:
DSC02882-1.jpg

DSC02692.jpg

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

That looks 8) you don't get many people goin back-up :shock: I've saved a fortune not lowering thats why I got a decent Bus, I'm pretty much resigned to stock now even gone off Disc Brakes I've always managed to stop it so far :roll: :lol:
I just love them the way their meant to be. :D
This threads been great for me thought I was the only one who enjoyed a high ride on here, thanks to Olive Bay for flushing a few of us out. :lol:

Another one for stock height here. If I don't need a step ladder to climb in, it isn't high enough. :lol:
I was brought up with a bay in the family from new, so stock height was what I was used to, and I've always been a fan of stock original in anycase.
I like looking at slammed buses, and the variety of different styles/tastes makes the scene more interesting I guess, but I should imagine my bus would only go low to facilitate easier loading, when I'm 'of an age'. ;) :mrgreen:

Picture082-2.jpg

terrier man said:
That looks 8) you don't get many people goin back-up :shock: I've saved a fortune not lowering thats why I got a decent Bus, I'm pretty much resigned to stock now even gone off Disc Brakes I've always managed to stop it so far :roll: :lol:
I just love them the way their meant to be. :D
This threads been great for me thought I was the only one who enjoyed a high ride on here, thanks to Olive Bay for flushing a few of us out. :lol:

8)

fair few of us in the high rollers club... 8) I think we were all thinking we were the only one with stock height :cry: just goes to show....its good to talk :beerchug:

I'm still high - and it seems a lot higher than some in the pictures on this thread. :mrgreen:

I always assumed that I'd lower it as soon as I got it, but since i have speed bumps to manage every time I go out, there are 4 of us and I like rustic campsites, it may just make it unusable.

Some great looking vans on this thread - gives me something to aim for

Hadders said:
I'm still high - and it seems a lot higher than some in the pictures on this thread. :mrgreen:

I always assumed that I'd lower it as soon as I got it, but since i have speed bumps to manage every time I go out, there are 4 of us and I like rustic campsites, it may just make it unusable.

Some great looking vans on this thread - gives me something to aim for

my wifes car (mk2 golf gti) is slammed to the floor she cant get it in the drive, it scrapes on cats eyes :shock: ..just a pain the arse plain and simple. I like not worrying about speed bumps, kerbs, pot holes or the odd step :msn4:

Latest posts